1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Take home pay calculator

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by diddydave, May 9, 2019.

1. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Quite a few threads and colleagues have considered what they need to 'survive' without the regular salary and one of the calculations I did was to look at what I actually took home because there are several deductions that don't play as large a part once you start drawing your pension - no National Insurance, no Pension Contributions and quite often a lower tax, certainly as a proportion.

For instance on a salary of £40,000 the take home is only £26,895
    If you had a pension of £30,000 you'd have a take home figure of £26,500...

On the face of it the drop of £10,000 seems enormous but it results in only £395 less per year because you are not paying a) National Insurance and b) Pension contributions.

My calculator, should you want to have a play with your own numbers is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jl0dw1-VpYpYC4NFGYt7HAd1UKcvvmy_YporqeeOk0A/edit?usp=sharing

2. richest1

richest1 Occasional commenter

Nice work there thanks.

3. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

There's a pay calculator on the moneysavingexpert website that does this for you too.

4. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Thanks, I wasn't aware that it did the teacher's pension contribution figures.