1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Take a Dozen Eggs?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by felltogroundinberkeleysquare, Aug 24, 2015.

1. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Or so says Mrs Beeton. What would you add to make a diverse meal capable of being digested?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

What is a diverse meal?

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Knowing how many you are cooking for would make a difference too. With a dozen eggs I could make some creme brulees, a chocolate cherry trifle and two different pavlovas. Diverse but not necessarily well balanced!

4. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

egg curry, kedgeree, crème anglaise, egg salad (not necessarily on the same menu)

Do the eggs have to be eaten all at once?

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

She didn't.

6. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

I've just reached for my Mrs Beeton I got in a charity shop years ago and it is about five inches thick on the spine. It covers everything from manners to how to treat your staff, how to lay the table and of course many many receipts. I am sure there is reference to take a dozen eggs in there, and curiously a cake instruction written by hand by someone costed in old money to make a fruit cake, which does indeed say 12 eggs, which I found inserted in the book. I can even see the writer costed the ingredients in old money.

3/4 peel

1 3/4 flour

ditto currants

ditto sultanas

2lb of fat

2lb of caster

12 eggs

4tbs of brandy

almond essence.

Bake 2 and a half to three hours ( no temp specified). I put the dittos as she obviouslly put LB

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

So Mrs Beeton didn't actually say it!!

I've got cookery book dated 1864 which includes 'A fine cake for the poor', starts with "Take 20 eggs"!!

8. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Oh there you are! Maybe if the eggs are small, you need 24!