1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Take a demotion or I will put you under that much pressure that you will go under.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Maths_Mike, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Basically I am a maths subject leader.

I had a bad time of OFSTED where i got really worked up, also got seen with my worst (and really dreadful class) and got an inadequate. This has happen on one previous occassion which was followed up by LA inspections all of which were satisfactory or better.

Got called into office today - no previous warnings or notice or complaints.

Message was that I crack under pressure - which I did - i admit this - and while I am OK generally I can no longer stay on as subject leader as the pressure is going to get worse. Option stnad down to 2i/c job.

I declined this offer and said I would either stay on or drop down entirely to main scale teacher.

Advice please!

2. First thing: IANAL, okay.
    Now, my understanding is there is no such thing officially as informal disciplinary action any more.
    This doesn't mean you can't do it. What it does mean is it doesn't count and cannot be recorded. So it is okay for someone to have a quiet chat with you about performance or whatever, but this can't be used against you at a later date - e.g. it can't be the first phase of disciplinary action.
    What this means is the offer really doesn't exist.
    Anything that is potentially disciplinary in nature (which this seems to be, given that you are pushed to be demoted) that can have an outcome has now to be done formally. It has to be recorded, a time has to be offered which isn't an absolute, and you are allowed a representative, whether a friend, union rep or in extremis, a solicitor. You certainly shouldn't be expected to make such a decision there and then, that's outrageous.
    It's not wholly clear from your post what the 'pressure' is. You say you crack under pressure, but from whom and in what circumstances - anyone will crack if they are bad enough.
    I can see two possible sources :
    (i) from your managers - this would probably classify as bullying and is probably indicative of a desire to be shot of you.
    (ii) from the pupils - this depends a great deal on how localised the problems are to you. If you are a good teacher who just has problems with a couple of classes, this is entirely different to someone who has problems with most classes. In both circumstances, however, they have to try to help you ; provide support and strategies etc.
    One of the problems with this sort of thing is there is the employment law stuff, and there is reality. If the pressure is from the SMT, is being demoted going to remove it, or are you being targeted for the axe ? If it is from the pupils, is it really going to get better ?
    Only you really know the answers to these questions.

3. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

thanks for advice
    I would say I am a satisfactory / good teacher most of the time and have plenty of evidence to support this.

Ok I know I should be outstanding as a subject leader but not outstanding does not equal inadequate.

Under pressure - during inspectiona I get extremly nervous. I was observed P5 with my worst and quite unpleasent class. The responded to an activity that wasnt brillaint explained due to my emotional state and soem other factors but playiong up refusing to work and making comments -Hence the inadequate.