1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taipei?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mangochutney, Dec 6, 2016.

1. mangochutney

mangochutney New commenter

Any info? A certain Eurpoean, brit curriculum school? Or Taiwan as a destination in general?

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

My partner and I live in Taipei. Send me a message and I'll answer your questions.

3. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

Likewise. I'm the aforementioned partner :)

4. Perey

Perey New commenter

I'd be interested in how you find it generally. Would you recommend it as a destination?

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i know which one i would choose, and it wouldn't be Europe. Taiwan is definitely on the list of places to work for me.

6. ejclibrarian

It's an incredible place to live. A hidden treasure :)

Fantastic people, food, and landscapes. Public transport is plentiful, fast and clean. Lots to do in Taipei and great opportunities around the island in general. There's something for everyone here.

2mature likes this.
  7. mangochutney

mangochutney New commenter

Ejclibrarian, I've messaged you.

Dumbbells, do you mean the euro school?

8. ejclibrarian

Problem is the North American one no one ever leaves! Hardly ever any vancacies.

9. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

Taipei is great. Super safe, clean, friendly. Lots to like!

10. jilarious88

jilarious88 New commenter

Our friends arrived last year, seem to love it. Go for it!

11. vanvickery30

vanvickery30 New commenter

Hello, I have just accepted a job in Taipei and I am really unsure, is it possible to ask you a few questions please?

12. ejclibrarian

Of course! By all means. Start a conversation with me and will do my best to help :)

13. ejclibrarian

Do you still require assistance? I started a conversation with you on Friday.

14. artisticteacher1

artisticteacher1 New commenter

I am moving to Taiwan shortly. I have secured a position there but the salary is less than 100,000 TWD a month. Is this about right? I wanted to move to be in a warmer place than I currently am and to be nearer my GF in Cebu. There are quite a few int schools on the island I see. Can you get Chinese curries similar to UK takeaway shops there?

15. ejclibrarian

It depends on the school and the job. It sounds ok. Are you getting accommodation allowance too? Taiwan is hot in the summer but it's cold in the winter. Very chilly right now. I've not had a Chinese curry so can't say I'm afraid. There are lots of very nice Japanese curry places if that helps.

16. artisticteacher1

yes accommodation allowance too. It can't be that chilly it says it is 22C during the day and 16C in the evenings. It's minus 4 here in the evenings north of taiwan

17. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

I've previously had an offer from a school in Taiwan that was 114,000TWD per month. I have 7 years experience plus an MEd if that helps with the comparison.

18. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

May I pm you?

:)

19. artisticteacher1

Sure go ahead!

20. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter