1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tack to take with negligent landlady ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Jun 26, 2019.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Next door ( shared drive ) is let by our neighbour to a young family member - I get the impression she ( neighbour ) was trying to help her step granddaughter ( she gave the impression it might be a temporary arrangement ... ) who at the time was newly pregnant ( and has now split from her partner) ... it is 4 bed with double garage. The neighbour lives @ 3 minutes walk away in a bungalow with her son .

We have been witnesses re the extension of lease in the past ( last time was November ) but the property really has been empty / let / neglected ( cycle ) over a long period of time and now is in dire need of some cosmetic attention ( plus major maintenance ). My husband alerted her to some fallen roof tiles recently....and we / he had been nothing but helpful ( saved her a fortune by getting someone he knew to take down 4 massive pines to the side of the property ). Anyway someone next door took it upon themselves a few months ago to tear down the ivy ? from around the garage and has left dumped it in front of their front door - a broken and boarded garage window has now been exposed ....

My husband mows the back lawn ( think Jumani if he did not ! ) and used to de weed the drive and surrounding area at the front when the house was empty .... as a favour to the neighbour and obviously to us !

The neighbour told my husband that she had plans to paint the garage doors , sort out the guttering and replace patio doors at the rear of the house but has not addressed anything. I think she may say what she thinks she wants you to hear but it is ‘ out of sight ‘ scenario ?

Sorry v long post but can anyone advise how to approach about the deteriorating nature of the house with the landlady / neighbour with honey rather than vinegar ?

It would actually take very little ( money wise ) to give the house some much needed kerb appeal . She has not approached us to witness the ( 6 month ) lease -( my husband said he would have refused anyway ) and has not rocked up for the rent recently ( although it may have been when we were out / away ) or we would have asked for a chat ....

Both tenant and owner have abdicated all responsibility for the house.

(Ironically the bungalow in our close has just had an artificial lawn put down at huge expense - talk about ‘sublime and ridiculous ‘ ! ) .

Anything anyone can suggest would be gratefully read ? !

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Firstly I would stop mowing their grass and doing their weeding.
    Then maybe pop round to the owners and just say something like " we've tried to help out by mowing the lawn, weeding etc but the property is becoming a little run down do you have any plans for doing it?"
    That's maybe all it needs for the first visit and then if nothing gets done you would need to be a bit more direct on your second visit.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah yes I think may be worth pursuing - the idea that even with our efforts it’s becoming unmanageable. Thanks

agathamorse likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'd leave it because it's not my property, much as if I lived next door to an ugly person I wouldn't ask them to put some slap on.
    However, if the condition of the property were impacting on me, eg blocked drains, I'd contact environmental health.

Before anybody calls me out for "ugly", I should add I only extrapolate from the opening post which concerns itself with kerb appeal.
    Personally I don't care if I live next door to a munter facade, because it's not mine to mess with.
    (I have to say, I really don't care who lives where and who is related to who, or who rents out what, and am also acutely aware that most other people who live close probably benefit from me feeling that way. Gets a bit Stepford in a few ways otherwise, no?)
    OP you might think you're doing some caring, but if you're financially valuing the additions to the homeowner's residential property and ruing the condition of the empty one, their point of view could easily be that you are pressuring, or even meddling. Quite close to tittle tattle.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    mothorchid, langteacher and knitone like this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Grass them up to the Local Authority.

afterdark, needabreak and nomad like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

for?

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah well @sbkrobson I can’t pretend to begin to agree with your take on this but thanks for the feedback. I can ‘t take kindly to living in fairly close proximity to something fast resembling a squat and all because those responsible are too idle to clean.

grumpydogwoman and FrankWolley like this.
  8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What a lot of brackets! It did make the OP hard to read. No offence intended.

You shouldn't be mowing her lawn. You have better things to do with your time, I'm sure.

9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I don't think there's much you can do unless there is something like piles of rubbish attracting rats, or something affecting your own property eg a joining wall problem.
    Quiet word is the best approach with a sorry we really can't manage your lawn anymore, have you thought about getting someone in to do it?

agathamorse, minnie me and smoothnewt like this.
  10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There is no legal requirement to maintain your property with good Kerb appeal.
    Your husband should stop doing gardening work on the property unless he wants to do it and is given permission to do it. The owner could accuse him of trespass otherwise.

Let the garden run wild. If a nuisance results in the form of vermin that might enter your property, or if falling tiles endanger you or others (including the iccupants), contact the Council. They can inspect and have the powers to insist on necessary maintenance..

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I fear that given her current lack of interest the lawn at the back would just remain uncut ...and at the risk of sounding Stepford we have invested too much ( time / energy / money ) on our own house and garden to ignore the shambles next door . Yes I understand this is energy wasted and yes I know it is not our responsibility. Shall have a word as and when. Can’t do any harm...

@jubilee- the owner has always been happy / grateful for our helping out with the back garden so the ‘trespass’ thing has never been an issue ...

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It may never have been an issue in the past with you entering her garden to do maintenance, but if you do escalate things via the Council, be prepared for a counter attack!

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

OP, I wonder if the neighbour has a mortgage on the property...If they do, and the lender found out that the house they partly own is being left to deteriorate they might be concerned...;) (Obviously I wouldn't tell the neighbour I was going to inform the lender...!)

14. Ivartheboneless

There is an obligation to keep gardens in check, free from overgrowth and rubbish accumulation under local authority bylaws. They should also have all the relevant documents re lease and fire safety, and gas safety etc, even for a relative. A local authority can send workers to clear a garden and charge the owner if they feel it is breaking their bylaws. (Some other posters have mentioned similar above)

15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Such as (shall we say), finding ways (or methods, means, as you like) of expressing the original post (to use the full term rather than the standard abbreviation "OP". (Hang about, OP can also mean "original poster", I didn't mean that)) sans (forgive the pretentiousness there) the use of so many parentheses (or brackets, if you prefer).

sodalime, Ivartheboneless and nomad like this.
  16. Ivartheboneless

Did Boris Johnson and the other posh kids at Eton have parentheses evenings?

sodalime likes this.
  17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No mortgage

18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No I don’t think it will come to this unless it was an environmental issue .

19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I wasn’t aware of that ? Learnt something new

20. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter