1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tablets in classroom

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 6nop12, Feb 8, 2018.

?

Using tablets, what best describes you?

1. I've had training and use tablets successfully

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. I've had training but have still trouble using them for teaching

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. I've had no training but use tablets successfully

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  4. I need training

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. They shouldn't be used

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. 6nop12

6nop12 New commenter

Hello all,

I've recently started to teach in a primary school.

I have been asked to try to use tablets in my teaching that are given out to each student. For a lot of subjects I am not really sure on how to use them and how I could fit them in.

I would like to see a poll of how common this is.

Cheers

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I would say you're going about it the wrong way. They're a tool, and sometimes you'll need to use them and sometimes you won't (no different to mini whiteboards). Focus on what you're trying to teach and then see if using tablets is appropriate. They can enhance a lot of lessons, but for others they'll be useless. As with any equipment they'll need to be taught how and when to use it.

Some ideas of where they could be used -
    Google Expeditions to visit places they wouldn't otherwise be able to in Geography. History etc.
    As a research tool for a particular theme/topic (they'll need to learn how to use them for this first)
    Taking photos/videos and editing them
    Writing a blog
    Scratch programming.
    Various apps as long as they're linked to some learning - 123D catch for example lets you make 3D models from photographing objects.

BetterNow and Pomza like this.
  3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I think the issue of whether tablets are effective, revolves around two things.

Firstly, whatever app is being used, needs to be useable by primary age children. There are a million and one useful apps for tablets, but if the kids find them difficult to use, they are neither use nor ornament. That means they need to have been designed from the ground up to be used specifically by primary age schoolchildren.

Secondly, an app should actually contribute towards active learning taking place. Clearly, for children at this age, colour and sound are completely appropriate, but they should reinforce the underlying learning activity, rather than obscuring it for the sake of mere 'entertainment value'.

Absolutely agree with that. For example, a simple app that allows a child to follow along on a keyboard in a music lesson, or something that allows them to match words to pictures, might be appropriate. Something that requires them to navigate extended menu systems, or required lots of keyboard input, would be a waste of time.

4. 3toeddave

3toeddave New commenter

Air server is a must too.

5. 6nop12

6nop12 New commenter

I just don't feel that there are enough apps on the market for schools to commit to giving a tablet to every student.

6. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

There are some really good tools for creating instant feedback quizzes - sorry I can’t remember the names of any but hopefully someone else will ( seen them demonstrated but we don’t have the facility to use them).

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Google slides has a built in application allowing students to ask questions.

Nearpod (used to be free, not sure if it still is) is good for iOS devices, allows feedback quizes as well sa being able to deliver content to the students devices and even control their devices.

Socrative is a free app that allows students to answer questions with teachers able to view the results in real time

8. 6nop12

6nop12 New commenter

Ahh thanks guys really helpful I'll look into that!

Has anyone found any good resources they could recommend for training in using tablets?

9. TheEducatorsCorner

TheEducatorsCorner New commenter

We have found some useful advice/tips/training that can be utilised in the classroom. Some of these have been utilised in the classroom and found to be very useful learning tools.

- Many schools now use the accelerated reader program that allows high flying readers to quiz on book that they have just read on a tablet/iPad.
    - Teachers can use iPads/tablets in English lessons to record drama based activities and watch them back.
    - Finding information about a particular place/person/animal etc. for use in a non-chronological report topic.
    - Children can record themselves in a speaking and listening activity such as a news report broadcast for an English topic.
    - Several IOS apps can used for maths/spellings/phonics activities and games during free choice/golden time/reward.
    - On the iPads that use Siri - children can be challenged to say a timestables faster than Siri can.
    - Children can take photos of themselves (selfies) and manipulate them using filters/art apps etc. to create a digital self-portrait using a particular art style.

Landofla likes this.
  10. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Senior commenter

Kahoot

Landofla likes this.
  11. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I hate all these educational fad apps. I don’t use them, I use what the iPad already has. I think about and discuss what the children will most likely use in their lives and show them how to get the most out of those. We look at using the maps app and navigating around, taking and editing photos & videos, using safari etc. Meaningful learning imo.

BetterNow likes this.
  12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Research is the most common and easiest to use aspect of having iPads. We also use them fort the AR tests as well as a number of other activities.

However, my favourite use is iMovie. Absolutely love it.

13. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

I have never actually worked out how to use an ipad. I mean, I know how to turn it on and stuff, but have never worked out a use for it due to my own ignorance.
    Even taking photos on it I find complex, as I have to download them onto a windows laptop to print, store or use, and it always takes me ages, and I often even fail at that.

14. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

I've found it great for when I hear children read - if there is something they have never seen, for example, the underground - it's lovely to be able to show them on an iPad.

15. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

I've heard tranquilisers are good for getting the class to be less rowdy.

Sorry, in a silly mood tonight

Milgod and NotAPowerRanger like this.