1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tablets and Devices in Education

Discussion in 'Personal' started by studenttaz, Mar 9, 2016.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You need to take that with a pinch of salt!
    When the Gifted and Talented programme was being introduced into schools, with extra funding from the government to offer enrichment and extension activities and rewards, the teachers at my school were told that 10% was the accepted percentage for G&T.
    We were told at a staff meeting that were to select the top 2 or 3 pupils from each of our classes and they would make up the 10% cohort in the school.
    I taught MFL and asked how it was possible for the top 2 pupils in my bottom set (19 pupils) to be more gifted and talented at French or Spanish than all of the pupils in my colleague's top set group?
    The SLT person in charge of the initiative could not grasp my objection.
    In that and other schools, many teachers saw the G &T programme as a way of raising the self-esteem of weak pupils. They were G & T because they had 'emotional intelligence', because they tried hard, because they had nice handwriting and neat exercise books (even though the content was either nonsensical, insufficient or simply text copied from the board).
    In schools with a poor academic intake, they were still allowed to categorise 10% of their pupils as G &T. I was supplying at a school that managed 15% A*-C and they still had their funding for 10% of their pupils being G&T, when my observation was that perhaps 2 - 3% fitted that category (being the Polish teenagers who couldn't get into the higher achieving,over-subscribed schools in the area, and who worked independently anyway to 'zone out' the challenging pupils around them)
    I would wager that very few pupils in a special school could be G&T when compared with their age group nationwide. They might appear G&T only in a pecking order with those at their school.

You could have gifted pupils who have obstacles to learning and life because of
    vision, hearing or speech problems etc but it's the latter that are the disabilities, not being gifted. Your survey would thus need being blind, deaf or mute etc as a category alongside autism etc, not being gifted.

lilachardy and wanet like this.
  2. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Hi
    Any chance you completed this paper? I’d love to see a copy.
    Regards

Enzo

3. pipryan

pipryan New commenter

I keep coming back to this thread. I read it earlier as it was flagged up by a recent post. The reason I keep coming back to it is through disbelief. A student invited, requested help from teachers to complete a questionnaire -not to comment, analyse or give a critique (that was not even constructive) on its construction. Most students choose a dissertation topic that they are especially interested in so it is possible that the OP has special needs also. Before circulation the dissertation supervisor would be responsible for checking the questionnaire and its validity (and for checking any analysis based on it) therefore perhaps aforementioned criticism should be directed at them. Finally it would be assessed by someone other than posters on here. I for one am glad I was/am not one of your students/pupils.