1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tablets and Devices in Education

Discussion in 'Personal' started by studenttaz, Mar 9, 2016.

1. studenttaz

studenttaz New commenter

Hi,

I am a computing student at Edge Hill University and I am doing my dissertation about "How tablets and devices are being used in an educational environment to support students with special need". I need teachers who are in in special education and mainstream education to fill in my questionnaires. It would be a big help if a number of teachers fill in the questionnaire they are anonymous and will only take 5 mins. Thanks

Tablets and Devices in Special Education (Teachers)
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13f52A7R830ctupJk0hhVvM6wDQDU5WZHHKtcTzdajjA/viewform?usp=send_form

Tablets and Devices in Education (Teachers)
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Ugf98Y0jZ2kdvgs2OpTL7dQAEJCdemPkfRFec9ZChkQ/viewform?usp=send_form

Thank you for anyone that fills in the questionnaire :)

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I tried, but the questions don't make sense, so unfortunately I couldn't complete it.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yesterday was National Proofreading Day.

kibosh likes this.
  4. studenttaz

studenttaz New commenter

The questions are about tablets and devices within education and only applies if the teachers use them within the classroom.
    which questions did you have trouble with?

5. lilachardy

For example, as a maths teacher, how would I know which other subjects use tablets?
    Your age groups are not really in line with the system in England.
    I can't remember the rest.

6. studenttaz

studenttaz New commenter

You are choosing the answers which are related to you, so you would choose just maths as thats the area you teach in. Sorry for the confusion.

7. lilachardy

But I could still only choose one of your age ranges.

8. studenttaz

studenttaz New commenter

Ill change that so you can choose more than one.

9. lilachardy

Are you sure that will allow you to analyse the data effectively?

wanet likes this.
  10. studenttaz

studenttaz New commenter

Yes, I haven't had any responses yet.

11. dljames2013

dljames2013 New commenter

12. studenttaz

studenttaz New commenter

Thank you so much :)

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Why is Gifted Learning categorised as a disability?

Many of the questions are ungrammatical.

14. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Is there any research that tablets improve education?
    I am curious if you have been trained how to select a random sample for use in research?
    Did you do any testing of your survey.
    Am curious how you will draw ant valid conclusion from your survey.

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I find it almost impossible to look at a questionnaire that is so poorly written. That's leaving aside the quality of the questions themselves and their relevance.

I was going to say " I'm sorry, but I can't get past the grammar etc" but actually I'm not sorry.

kibosh and wanet like this.
  16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

17. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Not sure that this is really about tablets, nor that is that positive.
    "W
    HAT IS IT
    ?
    The use of digital technologies to support learning, either through a teaching programme,
    or
    where learners
    use technology in problem
    -
    solving or more open ended learning, or where teachers use technology to
    support learning, such as with an int
    eractive whiteboard or learning platform. The range of approaches,
    equipm
    ent and content is very varied.
    H
    OW EFFECTIVE IS IT
    ?
    Overall studies consistently find that ICT is associated with
    moderate
    learning
    gains
    however there is
    considerable variation in impact. Evidence also suggests that technology should be used to supplement
    other teaching, rather than replace more traditional approaches. There is some evidence that it is more
    effective with younger learners.
    H
    OW SECURE IS THE EVI
    DENCE
    ?
    There is extensive research evidence of the impact of different technologies. It is relatively consistent and
    tends to show moderate benefits for technology use. However, due to the increasing pace of technological
    change, it i
    s usually about yesterday’s technology rather than today’s and certainly makes it difficult to know
    what to buy for tomorrow.
    W
    HAT DO
    I
    NEED TO KNOW
    ?
    Technology is popular with students, however it can take additional time to organise and manage. It is
    imp
    ortant to identify clearly how the introduction of technology will improve learning. It is also more important
    to think about the way the technology is used (i.e. how does technology facilitate improved learning) rather
    than assuming that new technology wi
    ll automatically lead to increased attainment.

Effective use of technology is driven by learning and teaching goals rather than a specific technology:
    technology is not an end in itself.

It should support pupils to work
    harder, longer or more efficiently t
    o improve their learning.

Motivation to use technology does not always translate into more effective learning, particularly if the
    technology is not supported by sound pedagogical principles.

Teachers need support and time to learn to use new technology ef
    fectively. This involves more than
    just learning how to use the technology
    and should include support to use it for teaching
    W
    HAT ARE THE COSTS
    ?
    The costs of investing in new technologies is high, but they are already part of the society we live in and
    mo
    st schools are already equipped with computers and interactive whiteboards. Studies suggest that
    individualising learning with technology (one
    -
    to
    -
    one laptop provision, or individual use of drill and practice)
    may not be as helpful as small group learning o
    r collaborative use of technology. The evidence suggests that
    schools rarely take into account or budget for the additional training and support costs which are likely to
    make the difference on how well the technology is used.
    H
    OW APPLICABLE IS IT
    ?
    There i
    s evidence across age groups and for most areas of the curriculum, suggesting that the pattern of
    impact is relatively consistent. In particular there is clear evidence that it more beneficial for areas like writing
    than spelling or mathematics practice ra
    ther than problem solving.
    W
    HERE CAN
    I
    FIND OUT MORE
    ?
    The US based North Central Regional Educational Laboratory has a review of technology and learning which
    was updated in 2005:
    http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issues/methods/technlgy/te800.htm"

Apple have been asked to provide evidence for iPADs - as I understand it they haven't can't!

18. studenttaz

studenttaz New commenter

When researching the different categories a number of special needs school listed gifted learning as a disability and that is who they looked after. So that is the main reason why I have listed gifted for learning on the questionnaire.

19. studenttaz

studenttaz New commenter

There are many research projects about tablets in special education which have been done not just in this country but in Australia and they have seen a very big improvement when using the tablets with special needs. Here is a link about Queensland doing a iPad trial in Australia and they felt the tablets benefited the children at great lengths.

http://education.qld.gov.au/smartcl...latform/pdf/ipad-special-education-report.pdf

The main reason why I am doing the questionnaires is to see if there is a comparison between main schools and special needs to see if they are benefiting the children in both situations. Also to see how the teachers are using the tablets and if they have any guidelines to follow. Hence why the question has been asked about the training of tablets. My project is about creating guidelines for the tablets to be used within special education and mainstream to see the different ways they are used and allow them to be used at the devices best ability, which will benefit the children as the teachers will know what they are doing with the tablets.

20. studenttaz

studenttaz New commenter

If everybody who looked at my post would fill in my questionnaire it would help me so much I only need around 30 questionnaires filled it on each. Also if anyone would like to see my paper when I have submitted my dissertation in then you can as some people don't understand why I am asking for the questionnaires to be filled in.
    Thanks