1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tables and IWBs being thrown away!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by v3884, May 21, 2011.

1. The desks and the IWB's (Promethean) are being replaced throughout the primary school (they are trying to spend the remaining budget so it doesn't get taken away next year) and I have just found out that they are just going to be binned! We are two form entry and that is a lot of boards and desks!
    Whilst I am not complaining at nice new tables and whiteboards I find this waste appalling and want to try and do something before they get destroyed! The desks and IWB are all in good working order, no problems with them whatsoever, just used, they all work.
    I was wondering if anyone knows of any charities that take used school equipment for use abroad in poorer areas?
    Or any ideas of anyone who might make use if them? preferrably a charity
    Please help
    Thank you

2. comenius

comenius New commenter

When we moved into our new school building most of our furniture was replaced with new.
    We sent a flyer around all the schools in the authority to see if any of them could make use of the furniture. I'm sure lots of schools would welcome IWB's.
    We also let parents know taht there were chairs and tables available and quite a few came and took some for their children's bedrooms.

3. Google African schools charity (I can't remember the name) all my schools old resources are sent to African schools.

Sorry it is so vague, I only know we have to send our unwanted old whiteboards etc to our caretaker who arranges to send things.

4. Nottinghamshire Police Convoy do trips to Africa & Eastern Europe with equipment for schools.

5. I would say please please please can our school have some? [​IMG]
    Can you not get in conact with the LEA to see if any other school in the area could use them, or even in a neighbouring LEA if relevant?
    And if any budget is going spare, can we have some of that as well, as we aren't even getting new whiteboard pens (the normal sort) or pencils for the children to write with now, such is the total and utter crackdown on spending at our place - new Head is a little manic on the subject. :(

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Where in the country are you? Our school would certainly like some IWBs, we have very few at the moment.

7. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

Me too! I could very much do with an IWB in my classroom :) If you're anywhere near by we'd be happy to collect.

8. No wonder the country is almost bankrupt. Schools throwing out perfectly good stuff and using taxpayers' money to buy new to stop the govt saving the taxpayers' money. Disgusting. Remember whose money this is.

9. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

How much are they selling them for?

10. We are selling the boards and projectors for £200
    They are literally being taken off the wall, but they are in full working order, some with new bulbs.
    They come with pens (these may need to be replaced) and remote controls, although I am not sure what wiring.

You would be responsible for collecting the boards from the school in West London. I am not sure at the moment how many there will be, I will post the quantity on here as soon as possible.
    Please contact me asap if you are interested.

11. We are also still looking to give the class tables away, there are at least 10 classes worth (different sizes).
    I have tried to contact some charities but have had no luck
    PLEASE PLEASE help otherwise these tables will be thrown away.

12. YES PLEASE to a IWB set! I have pm'd you.

13. Actually, can we take two please. (with the new bulbs)

14. ^ bump up

ANYONE want tables (free) or IWB/projectors (£200)?

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

There was a HT asking on that forum the other day about kitting out a class with second hand stuff.

16. We still have a few left!

17. Just out of interest, as your school is selling their Promethean IWBs what will you be upgrading to?