1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA work in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Sebbenn, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Sebbenn

Sebbenn New commenter

I'm going to Dubai as a trailing spouse. My degree is Philosophy and PGCE in French. I know I won't be able to teach French...
    Can anyone tell me what sort of salary a TA could expect?
    Thanks

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Very low. 3k at the lower end. Not sure about the upper, but it’s not high.
    Take a year to study and earn a qualification?

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I am sure that gulfers is right. Salaries for TAs in Dubai are going to be on the low side. Perhaps you could get some private tuition in French or maybe you should think about teaching English online. It pays about twenty dollars an hour. That is not much, but it is probably better than what most TAs would be getting.

4. Sebbenn

Sebbenn New commenter

Thank you both. I'm 50 and have twenty plus years at the chalk face but had a year out in 2017 after illness so can't afford another.
    I am TEFL qualified so maybe online is best. Is there any way of finding out which companies are reputable?
    Oh, and...I understood tutoring was illegal in the UAE? Please tell me I'm wrong!

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear Sebbenn, tutoring may or may not be illegal in the UAE, but then again there might be quite a few things that go on in the Emirates that are perhaps of dubious legality. For many, the rule of thumb seems to be, "It's okay, as long as you don't get caught." (And what exactly is your definition of "tutoring"?) As long as you do not advertise in the newspapers, you probably will not have a problem. When Mrs. Hippopotamus and her overweight husband were in the UAE, Mrs. H. did quite a few individual singing and piano lessons. No problem.

If you are already employed as a teacher and have a contract with a school in the UAE, then there may be clauses in your contract that clearly forbid any kind of out-of-hours tutoring.

As for online English teaching, there are many companies that organize this. This is a huge opportunity - or an enormous can of worms. You really need to do some research on the Internet. The more reputable outfits will want to give you an interview, take references and scrutinize your qualifications. The dodgy ones won't.

I hope that this is helpful.

6. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

It has certainly been the case for the past few years that you had to have a degree which matched your

7. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

I have no idea why TES keep cutting off half of my posts! To continue, the issue of having to have a degree that matches your PGCE might not be such an issue if you are on a spouses visa. I am only guessing but it might be worth applying to International schools to teach French and see what they say. Some schools do seem to be able to get round the rule and if they find themselves short of a French teacher in August and you are there on the ground, you might be lucky.

8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

Tutoring is illegal at present but almost all my students have private tutors (so they tell me) and people advertise pretty openly. I'm too lazy to do it and my subject probably isn't important enough to get much work if I did but people I've met tell me they're getting 200-300AED an hour - with maths/sciences getting the highest rates.

As a French teacher you may pick up tutoring in Abu Dhabi as the Sorbonne is pretty popular right now and a few of my students are doing private french lessons as they hope to go there.

There are definitely EFL/ESL jobs out there but I'm not sure what the salaries are like

9. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

Online TEFL tutoring pays about US$25-30 and the time difference is quite awkward for tutoring Chinese students, which is where much of the demand is. TA pay is usually about AED3500 but as a UK trained teacher you might get a little more (but you would still be lucky to get more than £1000 per month tax free).

10. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

11. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

Two of the top tier schools in Abu Dhabi pay AED6000 for a CA/TA. The large group I currently work for pay AED4500. So if that's an option, I'd consider that. Abu Dhabi is generally cheaper to live in than Dubai so your salary would stretch a little further.
    You could also consider looking at colleges to teach adults if you have your TEFL. I know a couple of parents of children I taught who did this.