1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA WITHDRAWEL

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sa242004, Oct 18, 2017.

1. sa242004

sa242004 New commenter

To people posting negetive comments: There is no need for anyone to be rude. If you have something negetive to say that has no basis ...go make your own thread. Im so tired of these random people being so negetive for what reason? Are you so insensitive to not see what a person has been through? I'm out of work because of this school for which I have tried my best with hands down I know I have!
    I'll post again for people who want to help.
    To people who are trying to help: thank you I do appreciate it and I know my posts may send a little whiny. But some have pointed out they don't understand what's happened? I'll post a brief summary as my post tend to be far too long. TC bye.

2. sa242004

sa242004 New commenter

Hi ok...so no I wouldn't take the job. I can't just let something like this go. I understand what your saying thanks. This school has moved four times is a very small independent school...very small. I'm not wary of people in education talking , obviously I hope not but I doubt this one will. Because I'm confident in my recent school/daycare work, I've done good work. I don't kpthink I'm going about this for the wrong reasons but appricte at the same time for the warning. I will try to deal with this in a professional manner.... I haven't contacted or responded the managers..it's been 2weeks. Managers emailed me last- telling me to request meeting with admin. Not with her though, she told me she can not have a meeting with me lol! I requested a meeting through admins nearly a month ago. I requested a meeting initially when I got my refrences back weeks ago. Admin never responded..this is my problem .This admin lady is meant to help me get DBS, never did it the time she was supposed to then I get blamed? She never responded in correct format or manner. She ignored a lot of my messages about refrences. I haven't been able to disclose a vital bit of info about the school maybe that's why people are confused....but when I signed up here the rules said to not give too much details about school etc..
    I have a reason for not letting this go and it's a very valid one. Otherwise I wouldn't of called Offsted and department of education. The school is an independent school yes but there's so much more info I can't talk about. I can post a brief summary?n Because some are posting they don't get it ? I'll try but getting flak for just trying to get a bit of support lol. Anyways...... :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

When you say 'negetive' (sic) do you mean people who suggest things that you don't agree with? If you ask for advice, it is likely that you won't like some of it, but that does not make the people who give it rude. For what it is worth, here are my thoughts.

You have already raised your concerns about the school with the relevant authorities. I doubt if there is anything more you can do - they will decide whether to take it further.

Your own situation is hard to assess without knowing everything in detail. If you want to take it further, you will need to get some proper legal advice, which should be possible if you are in a union. My own guess is that you won't get very much - perhaps a month's pay - if you do make a convincing case that a contract has been broken. However, that would be hard to prove if the school said that the offer was conditional on references. How would you prove otherwise?

I appreciate that this has been very hard for you. It is not easy to let something like this drop when you have been hurt. However, it is worth weighing up any possible redress against the stress and possible expense of taking legal action. At risk of being negative, I don't think I would if I were you, but I am not so it is a decision you will have to take. But please take legal advice before you do.

sabrinakat, Jesmond12 and wanet like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What would you like the outcome of your complaint to be?

You don't want the job, so what would be a successful conclusion to this situation?

If you can be clear what you want to happen, people can advise as to whether it is likely or not and, if it is, how to go about it. At the moment no-one knows what you want to achieve.

Jesmond12, Piranha and wanet like this.
  5. sa242004

sa242004 New commenter

Just to be clear- I do not want to work for people who treat others in this way. This is what I mean, in education yes it's a tough place but we should try to be role models for the children were teaching. Simple things like just being kind, if you can't do the big things atleast try to be kind....
    So no, I would not want to work there. I hopefully want what I asked for before the job was withdrawn. I asked for a meeting, as I'm sure if they see how it went down they will realise what they did...? Lol, they're not doing that so.... Obviously I'm not taking this that far, as a long stretched out thing in court. I doubt it'll go that far. I will be seeking legal advice, there should be some way to get compensation? If not at least an acknowledgement of what those two staff members did. As I said before, I know what they did is wrong. There's info about the school which I can't give. Again, I came here for support or just too see what others experiences have been, in small independent schools. ....that's it:)

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

8. sa242004

sa242004 New commenter

Don't know if the above two posters are joking or just being stupid lol? If the latter then no, because I never got to work even one day besides two days of unpaid cleaning up of the school .

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Even if you have enough evidence to get compensation, it is not going to happen unless you are willing to take it to court, or at least convince the school that you are. But it is not going to be a long stretched out thing.You are right to get legal advice, as you would need to demonstrate that you had a contract which has been broken and that is caused you damage. I am not saying either of these things are not true, but you would need to convince the court of their truth. If it were a case of the school's word against yours about whether the job offer was subject to references, as would usually be the case, then I doubt if you would win. If you can get decent legal advice without paying for it, then go ahead, but I suspect it would not be worth investing your own cash in your case.

wanet likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You were offered a post.
    References did not materialise, so the school cannnot employ you.
    They let you know this.

What are you wanting compensation for?

Jesmond12 and wanet like this.
  11. sa242004

sa242004 New commenter

I already contacted someone today, they give free legal advice... So what you do is you tell time what the problem is, then someone gets back to you about it. I agree with what you said that it's not worth me investing my own money in. I do not want to waste money in this 'case', but I do want this sorted. I was thinking earlier if I should get this whole thread deleted? Now I realise I want to keep it up, so others can hopefully take something from it; hopefully? In that, get the contract before doing nay volunteering work...if the admin goes on holiday, get the DBS done on your own lol!
    My mistake was, trusting the manager. I got along with her, really liked her in the begining. Got along with other staff, it was a really friendly environment. But it was a false sense of security. They 100% made me feel like the job was mine, I have emails , messages etc- telling me when I'm starting & about my contract (which never came). I am carrying this on, so I hopefully don't repeat this mistake but more over- so these people don't think it's ok to do something like this.
    Some find it strange, that refrences weren't a requirement. I never said that. For example, I'm with an agency now; and I already have a DBS. But I have to start a new one with them, so when I do start a new DBS-I'm allowed to go to schools as a supply teacher. Beacuse I already have a current DBS, and hopefully-a new DBS will soon be in processes. There are many schools who are ok with this. As I thought this independent school was also ok with was too. The manager gave me the job. I went through my messages & actually found proof today that this job wasn't based on any conditions or requiremnts. Of course you need references, I got one & mailed a screenshot to the admin. Nothing. Now I'm starting all over again, to find a school job. I feel if the manager said "Get refrences to me by this date- otherwise your job is gone", it would of been so much more different!.... Anyways, I'll see what the legal place says tomorrow... hopefully it's good news:)

12. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Any job I have applied for in teaching both in the state and independent sector the employer contacts the referees directly. I have never had the copy of the reference to send them. The only time I did was when I applied to a uni for a place on a course and then I had to send the originals and not a screen shot.Most schools do reference by email these days some even go with a verbal one over the phone if they want it quickly with a written one to follow.
    I hope you find what you are looking for both in a job and in settling this incident to your satisfaction.
    Are you in a union ? If not I suggest you join one so you have some support for any future incidents, hopefully you will not need them.

13. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

I’m sorry but I don’t know of any educational institution which would accept a screenshot from you of a reference about you. Because you could have written it yourself. Accepting this would be a massive safeguarding issue.
    You give the impression that there is more to tell us, something fundamental, but you can’t. I fully appreciate that you can’t, but we are all going on what you can tell us and I’m sorry but, once again, your case seems weak.
    Please move on.

wanet and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  14. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Small independents tend to be family businesses and laws unto themselves.

They have behaved in a shabby manner - but I think you've had a lucky escape. Seek the legal advice you wish, but if you have to spend your money to get this sorted, I think you're better off letting go and finding a better job somewhere else.

Good luck with what you choose to do.

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Ill be honest I didn't read the full opening thread and the gist is from what I gleaned you have been treated shabbily by this school and they are not employing you on the basis of things they should have sorted such as references etc.

I think you have every right to feel aggrieved and it sucks big shiny balls and the world is a very unfair place etc. Frankly I agree. However, I think you need to look up the 'sunken cost fallacy,' I think pursuing them legally might make you worse off in the long run. Not to trivialise your experience in any way but take a leaf out of 'Frozen' and 'Let It Go!'

Piranha and Gsr25 like this.
  16. sa242004

sa242004 New commenter

Hi everyone, I just posted but it's not appearing so I'll post again.
    Haven't been here a while. So I heard back from the legal advisor, who said pretty much the same thing. Taking this to court will cost me, and right now that's not something I can do at all... I just want to say thanks to the posters who haveve understood what I've gone through. Also yes Wotton , I will be hopefully looking in to a union as I do need to do this:) CWaad much appreciated , yes I am glad to be away from people who so easily treat others so poorly! Also, I don't think it was the school, just these two particular individual's who ran me off with no valid cause. But I'm hoping this is a lesson learned and not repeated!
    Going to court isn't something I'm financially able to do. I just hope that the actual school doesn't suffer because of these two people. We should all just try to treat everyone with kindness......
    Anyways, thanks to people who understood what I went through:)
    Take care everyone!