1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA to Teacher

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by vmarkham1, Jun 28, 2020.

1. vmarkham1

vmarkham1 New commenter

Hi,

I am currently employed as a TA in an independent school and wish to become a teacher. I have a degree (2:2 BSc Hons) and I was originally looking to do an Independent school PGCE without QTS. However, I am not thinking I must have QTS so just wondering if it is possible to do the QTS only Assessment Only route whilst remaining as a TA to bring in an income. I am completely confused! Can anyone help?

Thank you

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

Assessment only routes are typically for people already employed as unqualified teachers with significant teaching experience.

Marshall likes this.
  3. vmarkham1

vmarkham1 New commenter

Thank you.

I have a lot of teaching experience but it has always been as a HLTA. Having spent the whole morning looking, I think I am probably best to get QTS via a SCITT.
    Thanks for responding.

Marshall likes this.
  4. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

You have to have experience of working in two different schools and be able to prove that you can meet all the QTS standards.

5. marbles78

marbles78 New commenter

Look at the TES Straight to Teaching programme - it’s a designed for unqualified teachers and TAs that want to achieve QTS. It’s a preparation course gets you ready for the AO route and allows you to carry on working in your current school, although as Rolls said, you need to complete a placement in another school if you’ve not taught elsewhere before. The length of the course is tailored to your experience but you need to teach 50-80% of a weekly timetable. Course starts every half-term too, which is another bonus too. I started back in April - it’s been a tricky start in lockdown but I’ve tried to make the best of it!