1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA to Teacher

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by hayleybeeching, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Hi

I am currently working as a Level 2 TA but I want to become a teacher. I have no A levels or a degree, what are my options? I have looked into doing a Bachelors in Education Degree. Would I still have to go to uni to get a degree? My employers have mentioned training to be a HLTA. I'm not sure what would be the best way in to teacheing for me.

Thanks

2. Kizzz

Kizzz New commenter

Teaching is a degree level occupation so you would need to go to university. There are 3 or 4 year teaching degrees available. HLTA would provide you with more responsibility and would be great experience for it but ultimately you would need a degree.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Check out access to higher education course and integrated degrees. These are both ways to get into uni without A levels though there will be conditions for acceptance onto these courses.

4. 1FineDay

1FineDay New commenter

I don't think you need a level 4 qualification (A Level equiv) to do an Open University degree course. You could work through the course part-time, while continuing to work your normal hours as a TA. It would take 6 years, but you would have a degree and lots of experience at the end of it - you may well be eligible for a fast-track teacher training programme if your school offers such a thing. If it doesn't, then you're looking at another 2 years for teacher training, before reaching NQT status.

It's all worth it in the end if you passionately want to stand in front of 30 children, speaking fairly continuously for an hour, making sense, being motivational, having control over the personalities in the class, etc etc... 25 hours of that a week + lots of marking and lesson planning and self evaluation. If that all sounds enjoyable then you really should consider teaching as a profession. Oh and not to forget all the conversations with parents, where they will want to know what exactly you do to ensure their child does not fail in life? Kind of a high-pressure job.

Being a TA is however, much less stressful and you have more time for a social life. The money teachers get is considerably more, but you will have a tonne more responsibility on your shoulders and you don't always get a great response from the kids, despite spending hours planning your "best ever lesson".

5. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

You have to do 6 courses for an OU degree, but it doesn't necessarily take 6 years. I know people who have done it in 4 by doing 2 in the same year, although I never managed it myself. I love the OU, but be warned - it takes huge commitment and stamina to do well.

With all due respect to HLTAs on this forum, I wouldn't touch it. Tons of work and responsibility with very little financial reward.

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Remember HLTA is a status not a qualification.

7. 1FineDay

1FineDay New commenter

I have recently become a HLTA, within the last month. I do slightly more paperwork than I did as a TA, but I also get to cover 12 hours worth of lessons a week (sometimes on my own, sometimes with another TA in the room) and I do more one-to-one work with SLCN and EAL kids. I would have to say generally the work is still fairly stress free, although there is an acting assistant SENCO HLTA above me, so I wonder how much extra stress there would be for me is she were not there.

The pay isn't extravagant, but it is an extra £200 a month (after tax) which is, to be fair, worth it to a lot of people, especially people on TA level money.

Aside from all of that, being a HLTA better prepares one for teaching (something I am aiming for).