1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ta to teacher - Work based course

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by princess_1985, May 7, 2007.

1. To anyone else like me out there...
    I am currently working as a TA in bucks and I have just managed to secure a place on a Work Based Primary teacher training course at Oxford Brookes Uni, just wondering if theres anyone else doing summat similar??

2. To anyone else like me out there...
    I am currently working as a TA in bucks and I have just managed to secure a place on a Work Based Primary teacher training course at Oxford Brookes Uni, just wondering if theres anyone else doing summat similar??

3. Dunno whether this will be of any help but I have completed FD and then topped it up with Negotiated learning scheme at another uni all while I was still working.
    I am now waiting to start GTP in Sep after being an "unqualified" teacher in Nursery for just under 2 years now.

Really hard work training and teaching at the same time but seriously worth it if you want to make the transition from TA to teacher!

4. It's a fantastic course you'll love it.

5. i've been a hlta for 3 years and have taught year 2 as an unqualified teacher for the last year, now waiting to start the GTP in September - i cant wait, bring it on I say x x

6. Hi, I am a TA and have just secured a job as an unqualified teacher for September. I want to do the Work Based Primary teacher training course at Oxford Brookes Uni too but I'm not sure if they'd accept me without A levels.

I'm also in Bucks and any advice would be greatfully received.

7. cally4

cally4 New commenter

sorry to be thick but is this work based course the same as GTP?

8. Hi tatoteacher you need A levels or equivalent for the work-based course. Equivalents could be university access course, professional qualifications NVQ's etc you have to be able to prove you are able to cope academically with a degree. There is quite a lot of flexibility best thing is to contact the course leader and discuss your qualifications.

Cally4 no the work-based course is not the same as GTP - GTP if for graduates, work-based course is a full honours degree in primary teacher education with QTS. You study over a period of 4 years, whilst continuing employment as TA although you also need to complete 4 block teaching practices in other schools as you do with other routes.

Hope this helps.

9. keep-smiling do you have a degree?

10. me too. making to jump from support staff to trainee come september

11. Is the Work based course only for Primary ? Is there anything of use for secondary ??

12. yes you can do a GTP in secondary subjects if you are already a graduate, and rtp if not, there are SCITT courses in secondary too and these are all work based

13. I'd love to do this.

I am currently working as senco but would love to train as a teacher.

I have the hlta status and a foundation degree.

What route would you advise me to take?

Thanks

14. Are you primary or secondary? If primary you need to top up your degree and then apply. If secondary you need a subject to bring your qualification to an honours level. There are not many RTP places available, but once you have your degree you have the choice of PGCE or GTP.

Look on the TDA website for loads more info.

15. Cheers for that. I'm primary btw

16. Hi there- I have been a teacher for 6 years and before that I was a TA for an Education Action Zone. They told me about a PGCE course at uni that was a Flexible PGCE. I did that and have never looked back!! Great that I could actually keep my job- I did TA in the morning and then uni work and teaching experience in the afternoon.
    Good luck!

17. Zafira 1 - That sounds a fantastic way to do it.

I've booked a place today to attend an open day at my local uni to do the top up to my F Degree (2years part-time), think i'ts time to do it.

OMG!!!!

18. Will the top up give you QTS?

19. R4CHEL -No it will give me a full degree. I will then have to do a year pgce!!

20. Thanks PTJCA!

I'm considering starting a FD this year. My local uni seems to offer a 2yr PT top up to BA(Hons) with QTS for people who have completed the FD - but everyone I've spoken to says this can't be right and I would need to do a PGCE as well. I think I'll have to phone the uni to check.