1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA to Teacher, confused by route to choose

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ptaszek, Jun 29, 2020.

1. ptaszek

ptaszek New commenter

I've been a TA for 7 years and recently started about teaching. I'm 47 and my qualifications are GCSE Maths, English, Geography and History grade C and above but Science F.

Struggling to find out to do GCSE Science as I believe this is need for Primary School. A colleague told me to sign up for the exam and teach myself.

I have no idea what to do next. My only other qualification is NVQ3 in Administration.

Any help appreciated! Thanks.

2. marbles78

marbles78 New commenter

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, you will need the science GCSE. For teaching, it is straightforward. You need a course designed to deliver part time degrees to those who are TAs. I’m aware of such courses - they run 4-8pm one or two evenings a week and you do them until you have your degree - usually called things like BA Education Studies. You then do the PGCE. But you will, during this earlier BA time, need to undertake the GCSE in science. Probably during evening college.

4. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

You might find a local college or university that has a Foundation Degree aimed at teaching assistants - usually taught one day a week or evenings so you can carry on working. You could then do a top up degree and a PGCE or some places, mainly in Yorkshire for some reason, offer a top up degree with QTS. You could study a science GCSE at evening class alongside your degree. I recently ran some webinars called Turning TAs in Teachers that goes through all the routes fir teaching in all sectors. The examples are from a specific institution but you could find something similar in your own locality. If you would like a PowerPoint from the webinar email me at d.rolls@bradfordcollege.ac.uk.

Stiltskin likes this.