1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA to teacher - advice please

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by oxfordunited, Apr 19, 2012.

1. I am 40 years old and work as a Foundation Stage TA. I have completed NVQ Level 2 Supported Teaching & Learning last year.
    I was talking to my Manager today about doing NVQ3, and she suggested instead of looking into an OU course :-O
    I have three children (9, and twins 8) and cannot afford to give up work so would have to study alongside working.
    Any advice please, thank you

2. I am 40 years old and work as a Foundation Stage TA. I have completed NVQ Level 2 Supported Teaching & Learning last year.
    I was talking to my Manager today about doing NVQ3, and she suggested instead of looking into an OU course :-O
    I have three children (9, and twins 8) and cannot afford to give up work so would have to study alongside working.
    Any advice please, thank you

3. I did it! The OU are great and you can keep all the home things going too.They give you a lot of support but it does help if you are ferociously disciplined and well-organised. It took quite a long time for me to get my BA but I held down a full-time non-teaching job and juggled home/family/husbandcommitments too. Not much of a social life and even now I still am programmed to get up at 5.45 to get my dose of studying in before the day unrolls/unravels... I'm doing my doctorate now so beware, it's addictive. Very best of luck

4. Hi It is good to see that your manager is encouraging you on your route to becoming a teacher and the experience you are gaining as a TA will certainly strengthen your application. As you are working in the early years' sector, you may want to initially look at foundation degrees. They can be done through distance learning and usually involve some element of workplace learning. They offer progression opportunities to a related honours degree and you can find more information via the link to the Directgov website.
    Alternatively you could study a full degree through the OU. You would also need the equivalent of GCSEs at C grade or above in English, maths and science.
    When you have gained a full degree, you then have a choice of employment, school or university based routes. Why don't you give the Teaching Information Line a ring on 0800 389 2500 to discuss your options and look at both undergraduate and postgraduate options.
    Best of luck in your new career.
    Lin Hinnigan, Teaching Agency