1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA to EYFS teacher?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by topcat75, Oct 14, 2018.

1. topcat75

topcat75 New commenter

Hi all

I'm a qualified teacher who moved into ta work 4 years ago due to my young children. Before this is worked extensively in EYFS, my last year being 2008, when I went part time into ks2, then ta work.
    I'm itching to get back to EYFS. Realistically, how employable am I? Should I try to do some training first or could I cheekily apply for an EYFS post? Happy with honest opinions!
    Thanks

install likes this.
  2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

No harm in applying, but you might be up against people with more recent experience. Read up on EYFS, if you gave opportunity to spend some time in nursery, even beter. Are you working at the moment as a TA?
    I would always push the door, you just never know, but you might not get the first job you apply for.

3. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

If you have QTS then I would say go for it. Like you say you worked extensively in EYFS before your decision to become a TA for family reasons. If you are working at the moment then why not apply if something suitable comes up and see? Nothing ventured nothing gained as the saying goes.

4. topcat75

topcat75 New commenter

Thank you. I'm currently working in ks2! So was unsure if my knowledge is out of date! Any tips on where I can access updated information and practice?

install likes this.
  5. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Ask your HT if you can move to EYFS. There might be some opportunities at your own school.

6. install

install Star commenter

Yes apply. Good luck :)

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I was in KS2 last year and am in nursery this year.

Read 'Development Matters' to get learn the curriculum.
    Read 'What to expect when' to get some more ideas.
    Join some FB groups ('Keeping early years unique' is a good one, as is 'early years staffroom') and get heaps of ideas and advice.
    Then apply for jobs.

8. install

install Star commenter

Completely agree. Great post:)