1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA texting a parent

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by boogie19, May 18, 2019.

1. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think most of us are agreed that the TA was in the wrong. But many of us are also agreed that reporting them to the Lead Teacher and then escalating it to the Head is likely to get them in trouble. Yes, the OP could claim they were "watching a colleague's back" but I doubt if many other colleagues would be convinced if the TA were to be disciplined. I certainly wouldn't be, given that there are alternatives which achieve the objecting (the TA knows not to do it again) without getting into trouble.

annascience2012, Pomza and boogie19 like this.
  2. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

An ideal policy answer would be that the TA shouldn’t have done it because she shouldn’t have had her mobile phone out during work hours, there’s no need to.

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I would have reported it to the HT.

No way would I want that to come back and bite me.

"You mean you KNEW she'd texted this parent? Why didn't you say anything? She's obviously not meant to do that. Surely you must have known that."

Nowhere I have ever worked would think this was OK. And I was never sufficiently high up the food-chain to say, "I told her that she'd behaved inappropriately so you can take it as read that she had been advised by me not to repeat it and therefore no further action need be taken."

4. kjled6

kjled6 New commenter

Schools seem to have different ideas on this. I started at a new school in September (as a TA) and it’s quite common for the teachers (and other staff) to text parents things which surprised me. At my old school they would have gone mad.

5. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

i think...that's kinda the point of what the poster is saying, i don't think they actually meant the OP should've done that.........the thread is about blowing texting out of proportion....i believe it was flippant or fishing and sadly...hook line and sinker

annascience2012 likes this.