1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA take home pay

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by iamagoodgirl, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Does anyone know of a link where the pay of TA's can be found ?
    How does it work ?
    I know there are "Levels" ( a terrible term) of TA's. How often to TA's move up the payscale ?
    Does pay depend on the LEA/School ?
    My sister in law is interested in becoming a TA but would be a mature student. It would mean giving up a job which is insecuren anyway. She works for a small company and the owner is her direct boss. She shares an office so can't blow her nose without fear. (Just imagine having your worst headteacher sitting at desk in your classroom all day - every day !)
    It is big move and I have told her it isn't a bed of roses or secure either. If she took the plunge, she feels she'd at least have the school holidays and would be out of work by around 4.30. She is factoring in the cost of holiday club fees and after school care costs into the equation. This is already more than £3000.
    Also do TA's get paid for 12 months of the year or just 39 weeks of the year as I have read in some articles. I know the competition for jobs is as tough as it is for teachers, if not harder and she said "Life is too short". She'd still have about 26 years left of working life and wants to enjoy it. She can't invisage 26 years where she is. Is there a link somewhere ?

2. Does anyone know of a link where the pay of TA's can be found ?
    How does it work ?
    I know there are "Levels" ( a terrible term) of TA's. How often to TA's move up the payscale ?
    Does pay depend on the LEA/School ?
    My sister in law is interested in becoming a TA but would be a mature student. It would mean giving up a job which is insecuren anyway. She works for a small company and the owner is her direct boss. She shares an office so can't blow her nose without fear. (Just imagine having your worst headteacher sitting at desk in your classroom all day - every day !)
    It is big move and I have told her it isn't a bed of roses or secure either. If she took the plunge, she feels she'd at least have the school holidays and would be out of work by around 4.30. She is factoring in the cost of holiday club fees and after school care costs into the equation. This is already more than £3000.
    Also do TA's get paid for 12 months of the year or just 39 weeks of the year as I have read in some articles. I know the competition for jobs is as tough as it is for teachers, if not harder and she said "Life is too short". She'd still have about 26 years left of working life and wants to enjoy it. She can't invisage 26 years where she is. Is there a link somewhere ?

3. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Unfortunately, our illustrious coalition government cancelled the long-planned creation of national terms and conditions for School Support Staff and actually are very keen on making these even less clear and fair by allowing schools to set individual terms for staff! There is not, therefore, anywhere you can find a link to TA's pay - it's like asking the length of a piece of string!
    Currently, there should be some consistency within the state schools in each Local Education Authority, and there are some LEAs with very similar rates of pay but there is no common contract across the country so your sister in law would need to look up information for any LEAs she might be able to work in - some people live in areas close to two or three different authorities, whilst others are limited by the amount of travel required to work outside the one in which they live. Local authority websites vary in how much information they will provide about pay scales but if you can find they job vacancies section on there it will begin to give you an idea.
    Generally though, TAs are paid for the 39 weeks they work plus a proportion of the full-time holiday entitlement for their grade and they are also generally now paid proprtionately to 36.5 or 37 hours per week as a full time rate of pay - this is what is meant by pro-rata, term-time-only and will mean that any full-time salary quoted will be reduced: it is likely to be around 44 - 46 weeks per year, divided by 36.5 then multiplied by the number of hours for which a TA is employed - this can be much less than what they actually work, by the way! For most TAs 32.5 hours per week will be the maximum hours available and many jobs are for fewer than this.
    I agree with your s.i.l. that saving the cost of childcare should be taken into account when looking at a TA salary - many people forget how much they save on this and I always felt when my children were still young that it made my rather low salary much more acceptable but if she is reasonably paid in her current job she may be surprised at how little some TAs jobs pay - a £16000 salary may sound pretty good until it becomes clear that it's pro-rata and only for 12 hours a week!
    As a very rough guideline, within my LEA (one of the best-paying ones and I believe London is similar) TA full-time rates vary from NJC scale 11 for a level 2 unqualified (even though we're not meant to employ anyone unqualified!) up to 28 for a level 3 TA with long service - this would be a FULL-TIME (no TA gets paid full-time, remember) salary of £14733 - £23708. Realistically, the majority of TAs in our authority are paid pro-rata to between sixteen and eighteen thousand pounds which works out at a gross pay of around £12000 - £14000 for 32.5 hours per week, but I personally know of TAs working shorter hours and earning £6000 per year! At the other end of the scale an HLTA working 36.5 hours and at the top of the grade with over ten years service could have a gross pay of nearly £23000 - but these TAs are very few and far between!
    If you are able to give some idea of the LEA your sister in law might be looking at there may be someone on here who can give a more useful answer - there will be people who read this and think my figures are not remotely realistic to where they work - there are a lot of very helpful people around (though it might still be quiet in the holidays!)

4. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Damn - the 'edit' button didn't work! Meant to say that salary will be split into 12 equal payments and paid monthly even though it only covers part of the year. And I would have liked to correct typing errors too so apologies for those!

5. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

It varies greatly - the best place to look is local job adverts.
    In the area I work most TA jobs are now Level 1 (irrespective of qualifications), the full time (32.5 hours PW) is £12,400 - £13,500 .
    The majority of vacancies are for 1:1 TA's which are often partime, plus the contracts would be temporary as funding depends on the LEA and whether the child stays at that school.
    My TA job has now finished (1:1), I want to get experience as a general TA, so will look into agency work - the hourly rate tends to be higher but would be unlikely to be paid for holidays/sickness.

6. Thank you for all those who have provided information. She earns around £16,000 gross so less the £3500 or more child care costs she'd save, its worth a look at her finding out more. She has also considered school admin work as she has plenty of personnel, pay roll etc experience.
    We even considered setting up our own Nursery but that is a major move and I couldn't afford to give up work. She could as they've lost most of her wages through Pre-Nursery costs anyway.

7. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

"She has also considered school admin work as she has plenty of personnel, pay roll etc experience. "
    Just a note - the school admin staff in my Lea get paid more than TA's.

8. glenn_xp

glenn_xp New commenter

Yeah, admin staff are usually one band up the pay scale from TA's. Other Jobs you can find in big secondary schools worth considering are Office Receptionist, Librarian, Exam officer, Personnel, PA to leadership team, Reprographics, Finance officer, database manager, IT bod. All of these will be better paid than TA's.