1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ta Ta Ta Tannoy

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by zencat999, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. zencat999

zencat999 New commenter

It's the Headteacher's favourite toy - the Tannoy!

How on earth can anyone concentrate on Teaching and Learning when this thing is interrupting lessons - sometimes 30, yes 30 times a day. 1,600 pupils and 120 odd staff interrupted because wee Jenny from 3b has to go to the Office. It's insane!

How did we ever manage to run a school without this nonsense?

2. savagebarbera

savagebarbera New commenter

Is this in the UK? I've never come across it - it would drive me insane.

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

When I first started teaching, most ILEA schools were fitted with a Tannoy system, and it was a nuisance. You would just have got your class quiet, or you were in the middle of explaining something, and the Tannoy would crackle into life, usually to read long lists of names, interrupting you at least once each lesson. One DH was a habitual 'Tannoy-Jockey', and when he his dulcet tones were heard, the race would be on to phone him up, so he was interrupted, too.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I thoroughly approve of a Tannoy. If I have sole control.

sabrinakat, phlogiston and Mrsmumbles like this.
  5. erp77

erp77 New commenter

Surely there's no need for a tannoy in this day and age what with emails and whatnot!

6. zencat999

zencat999 New commenter

Yep. Someone said it's more common in Catholic Schools - perhaps it has something to do with announcing services or prayers. Either way it is a joke!

7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

IMG_4363.JPG I'm getting an image now of zombified teachers trudging around Head Nurse Ratched's day room!
    As for the noise...easy. Stodgy jam pudding stuffed into the speakers. Or PVA glue...

8. mrmatt73

mrmatt73 Occasional commenter

That's assuming people have time to read emails ;)
    Many a time, a sent email is just there to be ignored and you have to talk to the person face to face to get anything done.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Very common in American schools. Once, when I was teaching a class in Chicago as a novelty act and I was interrupted by some trivial announcement. I told the regular teacher that the wire would have been snipped if this was my classroom.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The Science department at a school I on't name routinely disconnected the tannoy at the beginning of the day and then re-connected it after school.

It was ridiculously loud.

thistledoo and phlogiston like this.
  11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

A teacher who is focused on teaching and learning probably isn't looking at e-mails.

thistledoo likes this.
  12. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

We had a tannoy throughout school but not in the classrooms. I would pull out the wires. Not joking.

13. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

We have a tannoy, by the time I notice it and open my door the notices are usually over. It is used quite well, only in lessons for an announcement that is relevant to the whole school just before lunch or break and then during break and lunch and before or after school for children and staff who are needed somewhere

14. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

Our previous HT could use the internal phone system in tannoy mode so you could actually be in the middle of teaching when his voice would suddenly come booming through the classroom telephone ! First act of the New Head was to install a new system!!:D

thistledoo likes this.
  15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

This seems absurd! Surely the Head realises that for every second of his message, 1,600 seconds of pupil learning are disturbed! (and more for them to settle back down.)

For absolute emergencies maybe but 30 times per day suggests the Head is lazy!

16. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Not as bad as my school when they decided to play Christmas carols through loop on the last week before school closed for Christmas. But then we do have a very jovial Lay Chaplain!

17. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Like this?

zencat999 likes this.
  18. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Just got the Nixon reference, never saw that as a 12 year old!

19. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Surely a Tannoy is just because someone can't be bothered to get off their backside to find the student? Every student's whereabouts are logged so surely someone can find them?! Probably means more invasive questions for the student as well when they return "ooooooh someone's got detention" lark.

I couldn't deal with it!

20. diamondjane

diamondjane Occasional commenter

I once worked in a primary school with a tannoy. It was only used once while I was there - the Head announced the end of the school year, telling us to get off home and enjoy the holidays. That was a fun school - in the good old days

zencat999 likes this.