1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA roles on return to school

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by hyper1, May 1, 2020.

1. hyper1

hyper1 New commenter

How do we think the general class TAs will be used when we return?
    Do you think schools will keep TAs in the classroom if classroom sizes drop due to social distancing?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You'll still be making the tea, same as usual.

3. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

Harsh and unfair

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well in our LA we no longer have any 'general class TAs'. They all have to be funded by being attached to a particular child. Whether they'll be able to fulfil that properly whilst social distancing is another matter.

5. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

I don’t intend to try. In the underlying health condition group...won’t be returning any time soon. September...maybe?

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I've been wondering about that too. At the start, if in our one form entry, two year groups were in per day - we could have one teacher and one TA per class with 10 children in each classroom. There would still be a classroom free for key workers' children if they were not in the year groups that were in school (and enough staff to cover them). But this is pure conjecture, I have no idea what SLT are thinking.

As I don't think for a moment there will be 30 in each year group returning immediately, it may well be a 'childminding' scenario for a while. Possibly then there could be just the teacher - or two TAs - with a group while other staff worked on the myriad of task which will need to be done in every school to prepare for a new 'normal'.

What do others think might happen?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Jonesygirl

Jonesygirl New commenter

I am guessing in our school TAs will be supporting students (and other staff) to return to routine, deal with anxiety and may also be supporting some who have experienced bereavement.

sunshineneeded and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

we have had a teacher and a ta per 10 children from lockdown so far, so maybe they will do something similar when they are back. It is impossible to help a child without shouting from afar though because of social distancing and don't get me started on how impossible it is to help when they are on a computer...and children cannot social distance when on the playground or passing through school.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  9. lovetoast

lovetoast New commenter

During lockdown we've had teacher plus TA in to look after what few children attend (0-9). After lockdown I can't see teachers needing TA support for a class size of 10 or less. I think we TAs are staring down the barrel of redundancy.

10. sunshineneeded

Don't be too pessimistic, @lovetoast. I do know where you're coming from but think (hope) we're some way from that scenario yet. Although many children have been supported by parents with home learning, many have not and will have a great deal of catching up to do. TAs may be used for intensive very small group interventions. Fingers crossed for all of us!

11. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

Well the government guidelines are now out... classes will be split and TA's to be used to be with half a class with work set by the teacher...

God knows how that works in schools that got rid of Ta's....

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I for one hope that we don't go back until September, I really want to- I'm bored and I miss the children.
    However much I try to convince myself though, there isn't enough room in our school for rec, year 1 and y6 to go back. Just thinking of the amount of movement at breaktime, lunchtime, hometime- and you can sat stagger it- but how? Also I worked out we would need all ks2 classrooms for y6 to social distance, that leaves us with three classrooms for reception and year 1. Then theres the one adult per class- who is going to carry on with the online learning for the other year groups?
    Give it while September. Its nor worth all the worry, stress and mental health opening could cause.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  13. sunshineneeded

I'm thinking that they won't all be in every day. We've already been told that each class can only use their own classroom .. maybe classes will be split into 3 groups and come in 1 or 2 days a week for each group? The other days will be home learning, as now? I'm only guessing - think we're going to find out more this week.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

If the children will be in different days and not 5 days then it doesn't help the parents go back to work does it which is what the government want! The government have clearly not stepped foot in a classroom in about 50 years! Has anyone had any info on how many children they are expecting back? The deadline for our school was Monday lunchtime so I guess we will find out soon.

15. Lara mfl 05

I've heard that Schools can't have different groups in on different days. It's a simple choice- in every day or out back at home. A friend says they were hoping to have children needing Free Meals in am collecting lunches as they left and then another group pm, but she's heard that's not allowed.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  16. sunshineneeded

Our plans seem to have changed again … we're just having Year 6 in first (and even that's not finally decided yet). Whole class in, using two classrooms. If they all came in, that would be 30 - but responses from parents indicate that there will be less than half the class in. They will be split into the two rooms (unless, I imagine, there were only about 6 of them!) with one teacher and one TA … and they will remain in that bubble all day, with staggered time outside so that the 'bubbles' don't meet. We are very lucky in that we have a lots of outside space.

Still not certain that it's going to happen though.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

Yes I have heard that one as well. The school where my nephew goes is over the road from my school. They arent returning until June 8th and will close one afternoon a week for a deep clean. They had quite a few year 6 parents reply yes to going back. Another sister works in a school and they will be closed every Friday for deep clean and for PPA. So many different options! We have not heard yet but I know my head will be doing everything she can to ensure it is safe for kids and staff.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. jonesie100

jonesie100 New commenter

Our TA’s are being used as cleaners as all our cleaning team are unavailable due to shielding. I can’t find any info online about the legality of this, do any of you know?

lovetoast likes this.
  19. Lara mfl 05

Whether it's 'legal' or not which would you prefer?

That surfaces are not regularly cleaned, because some staff are more concerned with 'it's not my job' and potentially virus is spread to staff and pupils and their families,
    or that any available staff, who can be spared, clean surfaces regularly, so everyone stays safe?

I would have thought the one thing we might have learnt during this epidemic, is that hygiene and cleaning staff are highly valued front-line workers. :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  20. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Agreed Lara. Surely everyone needs to "muck in" together and do what has to be done. Teamwork.

sunshineneeded and Lara mfl 05 like this.