1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA role or PGCE?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Changingtimes, Feb 13, 2012.

1. As a mature graduate with a business background I have often considered teaching as a career but lacked confidence so went for the safe option of a business degree....as a parent now I feel it is my chance to retrain and enter a role as a TA or part of me thinks go all the way and apply for a PGCE. My concern is there being too many qualified teachers (which puts me off doing a pgce) who are now seeing an entry into the competitive teaching roles by applying for TA roles (foot in the door kind of thing) making it hard to get a TA role.

I just don't know what to do for the best, I am seeking volunteer roles at the moment in schools to experience the environment and to enable me to do an NVQ which you need 6mths work experience for..I kind of need to follow a pathway that is worthwhile as I am 35 now....am I wasting my time entering this apparantly now competitive work field?

Thanks in advance

2. I applied for TA positions when finishing my degree (as a mature student aged 38) and was told that I needed to have more experience with children. I enroled on the NVQ course and found a school to volunteer in, where I now work as a TA. Yes, advertised TA jobs are highly competitive, but think about what qualities and skills you can offer from your previous career that could make you a more attractive proposition. Remember also, there is nothing to stop you from applying for PGCE as well... Good luck!

3. Go for the PGCE!
    Get the experience and if you have the right entry qualifications, apply.
    Good Luck.

4. Go for PGCE,don`t waste your precious time !I think if you already got the qualification you need, you could do one year as a TA to see if teaching would be good for you and then choose what is best for you.Do you know how much money a TA gets? I live in london and I get about £650 per month!I I work5 days a week from 9:30 to 14:30 which is not bad! I think TA is good for many reason especially if you have young children......but not money wise! If I was you I would considering teaching as career.GOOD LUCK!