1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA rights to one off day for honeymoon

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rolf33, Mar 31, 2011.

1. My TA was asking if she was entitled to one day off for her honeymoon. The rest of the wedding has been arranged in holiday time apart from this one day when flights mean she'll miss a day in school. I thought it might be at head's discretion and unpaid. Can anyone confirm or deny?
    Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere...I searched but couldn't find anything.

2. ...and that should be one 'day off' not one 'off day' , I have those all the time![​IMG]

3. Hi,
    Don't think she will be 'entitled' to it but she can certainly ask. Depends on the Head....he/she may well say ok like mine did, may say she will have to take unpaid, or may say she has to apply to the Govs for the day off. What's your Head like?

4. Most things seem to be 'apply to governors', I think mostly because it gives her time to think and also hopes it will put people off bothering!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

"Entitled?" Definitely not.
    At Head's / governor's discretion? Perhaps.And almost certainly unpaid.
    The thing about education is with such a good holiday allowance (compared to many other jobs) is one is supposed to plan one's hoildays/weddings etc to coincide with those holidays. Annoying but just the reality!

6. I would have thought that as a measure of goodwill one day would be granted. Our head has in the past allowed the occasional day at the start or end of a term for a flight. A TA may be asked to make the time back instead of unpaid. I am a TA and was stranded last Easter due to the volcano, my head used my time owing to cover the busy summer term for cover supervision across the school. My colleagues have taken the odd day here and there and made back the time, one TA who's hubby is a doctor couldn't take his annual leave at the same time so the TA took a week and has made back the time. As for teachers it may be different because they are contracted differently?

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

There should be a policy in school for this. In my school, the TA would probably offer to work an extra day in lieu, perhaps a non-teaching day when they wouldn't normally be in, or go on a school trip or something, or they would simply swap with another TA, and take it as an unpaid day.