1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA Qualifications

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Melissad1990, Sep 17, 2015.

1. I have just started working as a TA but only hold a degree as qualifications and would like to do more qualifications to eventually lead up to a HTL. I would still like to carry on working, which is the best course to start with or the best way to achieve this qualification.

Thanks

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

HLTA , if that is what you mean, is for TAs with many years experience not those with lots of qualifications and is a status not a qualification.

I don't think you necessarily need more "paper" qualification but lots of experience and CPD which is relevant to your work.

Find out from your local college which courses they run as these are usually the ones recognised by your LA. Usually you can attend in the evening.

TAKim likes this.
  3. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Yes, I agree. We were advised to have a minimum of 5 years experience for HLTA.

Cache course are quite good, I believe. Check which one as they have several levels but please don't do the HLTA courses on line as they DO NOT give you the Status you must go through the school to gain it.

TAKim likes this.