1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA Qualification. What and How?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by goesmadindorset, Apr 21, 2012.

1. I have just recently gained my first TA role. It is covering maternity leave. My main aim is to teach but at the moment I am really enjoying my role. I work in a Middle School mainly with Y5 and 6. I am really interested in SEN work.

I am at present studying for my GCSE in Maths which I hopefully will get in March. I really need some advice on what qualification I should go for and how I should go about getting it. I am not sure how long I will be employed for but I hoping it will be for a whole year.

Any advice will be really welcome.

2. I have just recently gained my first TA role. It is covering maternity leave. My main aim is to teach but at the moment I am really enjoying my role. I work in a Middle School mainly with Y5 and 6. I am really interested in SEN work.

I am at present studying for my GCSE in Maths which I hopefully will get in March. I really need some advice on what qualification I should go for and how I should go about getting it. I am not sure how long I will be employed for but I hoping it will be for a whole year.

Any advice will be really welcome.

3. If you want to teach then you need to be aimung to get a degree as you cannot be a teacher without one. i would suggest starting with the Open Uni's E111 - Supporting Learning in primary schools. This is a 60 point course and will count towards your degree. The course starts in Oct and you are still in time to apply for financial support if you qualify.

Good luck!