1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA planning lessons, entitled to PPA?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sensei123, May 3, 2012.

1. Hi, I am a qualified teacher but I'm currently working in a PRU as a Level 3 teaching assistant. I have agreed to plan and teach 6 lessons a week, but this week I have been expected to plan and teach every morning (10 lessons). The pupils we teach are very demanding and due to low staff numbers we have no breaks (other than nipping to the loo).
    My manager has offered to pay me a few extra hours to cover planning time I do at home, but I wanted to know whether I would be entitled to planning time during school hours, as I am spending time planning every evening. I love the job but I am so tired this week and feel that what I am being expected to do is not what I signed up for.

2. Hi, I am a qualified teacher but I'm currently working in a PRU as a Level 3 teaching assistant. I have agreed to plan and teach 6 lessons a week, but this week I have been expected to plan and teach every morning (10 lessons). The pupils we teach are very demanding and due to low staff numbers we have no breaks (other than nipping to the loo).
    My manager has offered to pay me a few extra hours to cover planning time I do at home, but I wanted to know whether I would be entitled to planning time during school hours, as I am spending time planning every evening. I love the job but I am so tired this week and feel that what I am being expected to do is not what I signed up for.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

You are not being paid/contracted as a teacher, so you are not entitled to PPA (as far as I understand things).

4. That's what I suspected.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Tell the Head that you wish your teaching time to be at teacher rates, with commensurate PPA allocated either in school time or paid as extra teacher time. Your TA hours would then be reduced accordingly.
    If that is not acceptable, inform the Head that you'd rather stay f/t as a TA from now own and get back your unpaid evenings.
    None of the other teachers at the school, including the Head, would agree to teach 8 or 10 hours of the week at TA rates with a few extra paid hours added on.