1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA pay

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ammonia, Jan 31, 2016.

1. ammonia

ammonia New commenter

I am looking at applying for a part-time TA Level 2 role, paid through Sheffield council (Grade 3 Scp 12-17 £15,523 – 17,372 pro rata). I wanted to know what the actual salary would be, as it's a two and a half days a week position advertised at 14.5 hours (I'm not sure how 2 and a half days could be 14.5 hours but there you go). I asked the school and received a reply from the school saying this:

"The salary would depend on whether you had any continuous service with Sheffield City Council (this affects the holiday pay element). Can you tell me if you are currently working in a Sheffield school or for Sheffield City Council?"

What does this mean and why would it have any effect on the salary for the job? Also, surely two and a half days would equal exactly half of the full salary? Is anyone able to work out what the actual salary would be? Obviously, I know TAs get paid a reduced rate due to not working in the holidays, but statutory holiday pay needs to be factored in of course.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Be wary of pro-rata quoted salaries.

Should I become a TA?

And the holiday pay issue suggests that as you work longer with the Sheffield Council, then you have a greater holiday entitlement.

Working out TA pay is a NIGHTMARE. You need to contact the HR department at the Council really, to get any sense.

Good luck!

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

The longer you work for a CC the more holiday pay you get. Remember you don't get paid for the holidays so in order to get some money during the holidays you get less each month so you get a pay cheque in the summer.2.5 days probably means you start at 9am finish at 3.30pm (or may be start at 8.45 and finish at 3.15) with an unpaid lunch of 1hour. So 5.5hr day and 3.5 for the morning.If you are already working for the council you will be on a pay scale already and on a certain point on that scale.If you haven't work for the council before then they will pay you at the lowest advertised ie grade3 scp12.

4. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

This old post of mine may help - clearly it's for a full-time job (and possibly at a higher rate of pay) than what you're looking at but you may be able to use it to get an idea of what you would earn. You can check the NJC Spine points online to get the full-time all-year round rate for the ones quoted. However, your authority may have their own variation of how salary is worked out so, as Theo advises, it's probably best to contact them directly and ask.

https://community.tes.com/threads/working-out-ta-pay.696541/#post-8475964

5. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Can anyone please advise me: for a couple of years recently, I worked as a supply teacher in the North West, in an area that was pilot zone for the Universal Credit benefits system.

Despite some criticisms, this actually worked quite well for me, I could claim it during the holidays - especially the summer one, plus because the claim is 'live' for six months I did not have to re-apply at each break, as had been the case with JSA.

However, I have recently started a HLTA job that is full-time, but paid during term-time only (similar to that in the OP). Can I make a claim under the Universal credit system, for example next week (half-term) or does the fact I am now in one job, for one local authority, preclude me from doing this?

Thanks in advance.

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Sorry no idea. I've worked as supply, TA and HLTA but never claimed anything in the holidays. Are you likely to be seeking employment during the holidays? I'd make enquires at a local job centre. Your HLTA job is not classed as full time, well it isn't in my authority, as you don't work in the school holidays.

7. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I think the fact that as an HLTA, unlike a supply Teacher, your pay is split over 12 equal monthly payments will preclude you for claming any benefits. Unless you have a temporary contract that ends at the end of the school year (and which would make your whole year's pay lower overall) you are not classed as being unemployed. However, I am not an expert by any means so it might be worth querying this directly with someone who works in Benefits.

8. hubcap

hubcap Occasional commenter

I am a full time HLTA. I know that I do not get paid for the holidays like a teacher does. Welcome to TA world!

9. Saland45

Saland45 New commenter

In our LA the salary is divided into 12 monthly payments and includes August...and it is really hard to work out !!!! All I know is it is not very much!!!!

10. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

How very true!! After many, many years I still couldn't work it out! :(

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Working 2 and a half days does not equate to 50% of a full time salary if the hours worked do not equate to half of a f/t LA job.

For the purposes of LA employees (excluding teachers), full time is 37.5 hours per week.
    TAs are also usually only employed for the 38 pupil weeks , plus an extra week or two for general work in non-pupil weeks + 4 weeks of holiday pay entitlement, so usually 44 weeks maximum per year.
    Thus your gross salary would be a minimum of £5,078-81p per year and a maximum of £5,683-76 per year.
    The salary would be paid in 12 equal installments, so £423-23 pcm to £473-47 pcm.
    It used to be that TAs and other school employees, like dinner ladies and office staff, were paid weekly only at the end of the weeks worked. they could then sign on in the holidays. By changing pay to monthly, spread over 12 months, signing on for JSA was no longer possible as the employees are receiving money even when not employed.

Pay is further complicated if you start mid school year or leave before the summer break. You can have worked most of the school year but will you get any of the deferred (earned) pay that would have been paid over the 6 week summer break had you worked until the end of the summer term?
    I think that's what the mention of being an employeeof the LA already means.. A TA moving from another school would have their monthly payments calculated based on what the LA owes them for deferred pay already.
    A newbie would presumably have the initial monthly pay worked out based on how many weeks are left in the school year and how many paid holiday weeks and admin weeks are related to that. Then a new schedule would be in place from 1st September if the employment continues in the new school year.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's a really helpful explanation @jubilee , which I'm sure will help many understand the vagaries of TA pay and not being able to claim JSA.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I was working for the Benefits Agency when the changes for TA and school Welfare staff pay came in. We had a lot of distraught women who had to be told that they were no longer eligible to claim JSA over the school holidays. They were previously able to look for temporary work in the holidays whilst getting JSA Contributory each year.

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I remembered you've said so in the past jubilee, which is why I've often quoted your name when referring to benefit issues.

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I've been thinking about this TA work schedule again after seeing an advert about the new minimum wage coming into force in April (£7-20 per hour).
    14.5 hrs as a TA eats into 3 weekdays and essentially prevents other work on the third part day. Each 'full' day will be a max of 5.5 hrs, I expect.

Personally, I'd rather work at the local supermarket where 16 hours could be worked over 2 days for £115-20 per week at least, with a probable 10% off shopping and the chance of overtime should I want it.