1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA Pay over the summer

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Sparkley84, May 18, 2011.

1. I've been working as a T.A. since the beginning of October. However I've now managed to secure a teaching post for September.

My new school have said that I can go in for the last 2 weeks in July to get used to the school etc. They will pay me for 2 weeks of supply, but can't pay me for the summer. Initially I had intended to stay working as a TA until end of August so I could get paid over summer. But I think it will be really useful to go to my new school in July.

However, this means I will have to leave my TA job in mid-July and won't get paid over the summer. But as TAs don't we get paid for 40 weeks but they spread it over 52 weeks? If so, would I have already earned some of the money I should get paid over summer and be entitled to it?

2. I've been working as a T.A. since the beginning of October. However I've now managed to secure a teaching post for September.

My new school have said that I can go in for the last 2 weeks in July to get used to the school etc. They will pay me for 2 weeks of supply, but can't pay me for the summer. Initially I had intended to stay working as a TA until end of August so I could get paid over summer. But I think it will be really useful to go to my new school in July.

However, this means I will have to leave my TA job in mid-July and won't get paid over the summer. But as TAs don't we get paid for 40 weeks but they spread it over 52 weeks? If so, would I have already earned some of the money I should get paid over summer and be entitled to it?

3. R13

R13 New commenter

In our Authority that would certainly be the case - enjoy your supply opportunity and rest assured your earned holiday pay should be yours

4. Mindreader do you have term time only contracts or all year round contracts? If all year round then that would be fair enough if you don't work in August why should you be paid for AUgust! However if you are on term time only contracts you should get your August pay cheque because you earn your pay from September to July and it is then divided into twelve equal installments so you have earnt your August pay cheque by the end of July.