1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA Pay and Conditions Information

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by rc07, Feb 26, 2011.

1. rc07

rc07 New commenter

I am seriously thinking about a change in direction for my career, and one possibility is becoming a TA instead of a teacher. I love teaching but the parts I love are working with children and actually helping them progress, and I am increasingly finding that my abiltiy to do this is being taken away by the paperwork and interference from higher up. The ever increasing workload is having a massive detrimental effect on my personal life too. I used to be a TA before I trained so I know full well the pros and cons of the job in general, but that was several years ago and I would like to hear some accounts of what current TAs experience.
    One of my main questions is about pay. Clearly this is not a job we do because of the huge financial reward(!!) and I am prepared to take a significant pay cut if I make this change, but the fact remains that I need to support myself and need to know what I would earn and whether this idea is actually feasible. If anyone is willing to tell me what they earn after tax etc I would find that very useful.
    Also, as a TA with a teaching qualification, would I be well received in schools or would you think it was odd? Would my qualifications allow me to go straight in as a HLTA? I would be happy to do some teaching like PPA cover and would be happy to run clubs etc.
    Thank you in advance for any help or advice! I really am in a dilemma currently about what to do so any information I would be grateful for.

2. rc07

rc07 New commenter

I am seriously thinking about a change in direction for my career, and one possibility is becoming a TA instead of a teacher. I love teaching but the parts I love are working with children and actually helping them progress, and I am increasingly finding that my abiltiy to do this is being taken away by the paperwork and interference from higher up. The ever increasing workload is having a massive detrimental effect on my personal life too. I used to be a TA before I trained so I know full well the pros and cons of the job in general, but that was several years ago and I would like to hear some accounts of what current TAs experience.
    One of my main questions is about pay. Clearly this is not a job we do because of the huge financial reward(!!) and I am prepared to take a significant pay cut if I make this change, but the fact remains that I need to support myself and need to know what I would earn and whether this idea is actually feasible. If anyone is willing to tell me what they earn after tax etc I would find that very useful.
    Also, as a TA with a teaching qualification, would I be well received in schools or would you think it was odd? Would my qualifications allow me to go straight in as a HLTA? I would be happy to do some teaching like PPA cover and would be happy to run clubs etc.
    Thank you in advance for any help or advice! I really am in a dilemma currently about what to do so any information I would be grateful for.

3. Don't know how much pay varies from authority to athority but here is what mine is like.
    Full time employment is 25 hours maximum, paid for 3 hours 9 - 12 mornings and 2 hours 1.10 to 3.10 afternoons. I am on the highest grade and increment for a qualified TA (HLTA, STA and foundation degree) and I take home just under £800 per month. I am only paid for 39 weeks plus 5 weeks holiday pay (would be 4 weeks for first 4 years of employment) which is spread evenly through the year.

4. It really depends very much on the LEA you work in I'm afraid. I am an HLTA but unlike the previous poster I work 36.5 hours per week (this is paid at only 31.91 though as I am also on term-time only so also paid for 39 weeks plus bank holidays and pro-rata to 5 weeks holiday - works out at around 45.6 weeks per year - it's a very complicated calculation my authority do to somehow ensure I get paid slightly less than I should every month!)
    I am on a gross wage of just over £24000 per year and currently take home about £1400 each month - as you can see this is very different from the previous poster and, I've got to say, is probably far less usual. Obviously with the cuts coming my job has got to be at risk as thye head has to balance the cost against what I provide - school could have three lower-grade part-timers for the same money but, of course, they are not able to do many of the jobs which I can, including covering whole classes and PPA time. Realistically, I know I will not get another job paying this much if I lose this one and I wouldn't avise you to expect to get this either but I just wanted to point out that not every authority underpays TAs.
    In some authorities your teaching qualification will allow you to work as an HLTA (if you can find a vacancy) but some actually say that a qualified teacher still has to go through the HLTA assessment process and there is no government funding for this any more so you or your employer would have to pay for this in that situation.
    I think most schools would welcome a teacher working as a TA with open arms - I think the likelihood is that you would be exploited by many heads, however!
    I genuinely wish you luck and hope that you find something to suit you - being a TA can be a fantastic job and I would never contemplate becoming a teacher!

5. I am a level 1 TA-I work in inner London and get paid just over £1000 a month before tax, about £870 after. I don't get paid for holidays and I work about 32 hours a week.

6. Some schools will use you to teach exactly the same as a teacher for a level 4(HLTA) salary. In my area that is about 14K net term time only 32.5 weeks a year. You might get stung badly and find yourself with exactly the same workload. Many schools use the TAs as chreap teachersto save money breaking the worforce agreement.

7. Forgot to say my area is Hull East Yorkshire