1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA pay and conditions- can someone doing the same job be paid for longer hours?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by louisejemima, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Does anyone konw if it's ok to pay one TA for more hours than another, despite experience and responsibilities?
    I've been working as a TA in my local infant school for 10 years and have TA qualifications as well as a degree in Social Science and lots of life experience. Another TA at school has been there for 2 and a half years, has TA qualifications but is very young and inexperienced.
    I am paid from 8.45am each day until 3.30, she is paid from 8.30 until 4.15. I know that this is because she had been contarcted longer hours than me previously (I somehow ended up with only about half of my hours contracted and the rest were claimed for each month!) but feel a bit cheated as I do so much more and have many more resposibilities then her in school- I run intervention groups, I run extra-curricular activities, I plan for my own additional literacy support group, I also generally produce more resources, mark more work and plan more. I feel because of my dedication and experience I am called upon to do more but it is expected to be done in the same amount of time as before and in less time than my colleague is paid. I tend to stay in school between 4 and 5pm but am trying to cut that down due to lack of pay, I attend weekly staff meetings that usually finish around 4.30, I am the only member of staff who is not paid at the staff meeting.
    As you can probably tell I'm beginning to feel quite angry about this, I feel it's unfair and I feel undervalued. I have mentioned it at my performance management meeting with the deputy head who said she'd bring it up with the head but nothing has been said to me yet. I thought I'd find out a bit more before approaching her as she tends to brush you off if she can.
    Can anyone help?

2. A general principle is that you should be paid for the hours you work. Having said that many people work a bit over and above their hours without pay.
    It seems to me that you should talk to your boss about your contract and see if you can negotiate a better deal for yourself.

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I don't know if it the same in all LAs, but where I work, you would be on a different pay scale. However, even if you are earning more money per hour, I can understand why you would be frustrated that she has been offered more hours than her. Unless it is because there is something specific about her role that necessitates her doing longer hours? Can you claim overtime for the staff meetings that finish at 4.30 (I would be able to do so in my school - but I know things are different for all of us)? Good luck with getting it fixed