1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA on short hours - pay deducted from JSA

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ostridge, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I have a wife who was working 25 hours in a N.E. school for pupil support, plus 7.5 hours for the school.
    the 25 hours after several years was the subject of redundancy payment at end march, leaving 7.5 hours that the HT wanted done 1hr per 4days at lunchtime 1st aid cover and 1 afternoon.
    The 7.5 hours pay less £5 disregard gets deducted from Job Seekers (living) Allowance of £71 (by contributions). The bus fares are about say £20.
    I was just trying to work out how she is supposed to find the money for bus fares, shoe leather, laundry etc.
    Regards

2. Hi all,
    I have a wife who was working 25 hours in a N.E. school for pupil support, plus 7.5 hours for the school.
    the 25 hours after several years was the subject of redundancy payment at end march, leaving 7.5 hours that the HT wanted done 1hr per 4days at lunchtime 1st aid cover and 1 afternoon.
    The 7.5 hours pay less £5 disregard gets deducted from Job Seekers (living) Allowance of £71 (by contributions). The bus fares are about say £20.
    I was just trying to work out how she is supposed to find the money for bus fares, shoe leather, laundry etc.
    Regards

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

This sounds about right. Hugely unfair I agree, when I was claiming jsa I sometimes ende up worse off once petrol was accounted for, and that was on supply wage not TA! If she's worse off tell the HT this and stop working. May be worth posting on the job seekers forum if u haven't already, as most ppl on here will not be able to help as they're in work and don't always know much about unemployment.