1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA notice period

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by LaureRichis, Jun 2, 2011.

1. I could do with some advice as regards to leaving my full time HLTA post.

We have had a tricky couple of years with my husband in and out of work for the last couple of years so my wages have been vital to the family budget.
    At long last it looks like my husband’s current temporary contract will become permanent. Having found the HLTA role exhausting and stressful I have decided that it is time for a change. A friend has offered me a part time position that I would love to take up however I am not in a position to take on part time hours until my husband’s contract is confirmed and it is looking as though things will not be settled until the end of June.

Does anyone know whether a months’ notice has to be given within term time or could some of it run into the summer holidays? I am paid term time only so are the forthcoming summer holiday wages something that I have already contributed to? If so what date should I give as notice (end of summer holidays or four weeks from notice being handed in?)

Thanks for reading.

2. I could do with some advice as regards to leaving my full time HLTA post.

We have had a tricky couple of years with my husband in and out of work for the last couple of years so my wages have been vital to the family budget.
    At long last it looks like my husband’s current temporary contract will become permanent. Having found the HLTA role exhausting and stressful I have decided that it is time for a change. A friend has offered me a part time position that I would love to take up however I am not in a position to take on part time hours until my husband’s contract is confirmed and it is looking as though things will not be settled until the end of June.

Does anyone know whether a months’ notice has to be given within term time or could some of it run into the summer holidays? I am paid term time only so are the forthcoming summer holiday wages something that I have already contributed to? If so what date should I give as notice (end of summer holidays or four weeks from notice being handed in?)

Thanks for reading.

3. R13

R13 New commenter

You don't have to give notice in term time BUT if you know you'll be leaving it is best to, in order to be fair to the school of course.
    There is nothing stopping you giving written notice today to say you are resigning as of August 31st to ensure you get full benefit of any holiday pay

4. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

One months notice is the minimum - you can resign at any time as long as you state that you wish to finish on 31/8 .
    Good luck in your new job - I'm looking for new employment, my current post is temporary and so automaticaly expires on 31/8.

5. Is this true? Can your head decline saying you wish to end on the 31st as they would surely want to save money? When would you hand your letter in?

6. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

If you are giving notice to leave at the end of a term or half-term you should always give the last day of the holiday as your leaving date to ensure you get paid what is due to you. The head cannot insist that you resign at an earlier date. You can hand your letter in at any point but it definitely needs to be with the head/governors a full month (or whatever notice period is relevant to your position) before the date you are terminating your employment.
    Incidentally, I just want to warn other HLTAs that since we went through Single Status in my LA HLTAs are paid at a grade which requires two months, rather than one month's notice - it might be as well to double check as I only realised this when ploughing through a load of tedious paperwork - it wasn't specifically pointed out that this was one of the changes to our contracts.

7. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

It would be nice if since Single Status I was given a contract.I had to send it back as it was STA even though I had been a HLTA for 3 + years. I presume I could just walk out if I wanted to but thanks for the info.

8. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Sounds like your LA was as efficient as ours, snugglepot!
    We were told a couple of days ago that there are going to be more changes to our contracts this year with responsibility payments disappearing and all TAs expected to do anything and everything!
    I used to love my job!