1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA levels

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by legoearth, Jul 20, 2011.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

This may sound odd after many years as a teaching assistant but I am trying to find out if there is a nationally recognised job description for level 2 and 3 TAs. Due to single status there seems to be a bit of a hoo ha about who is working at level 2 and who at 3! I believe some could be working at what we believe to be level 3 without level 3 qualifications but are paid at level 2. Need to go armed with info to SMT .

2. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

This may sound odd after many years as a teaching assistant but I am trying to find out if there is a nationally recognised job description for level 2 and 3 TAs. Due to single status there seems to be a bit of a hoo ha about who is working at level 2 and who at 3! I believe some could be working at what we believe to be level 3 without level 3 qualifications but are paid at level 2. Need to go armed with info to SMT .

3. You don't need a L3 qualification to be a L3 TA.

4. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

As I thought. I am trying to find an up to date information on rolls and responsibilities for level 2 and 3 TA's. Our LA seems very secretive about how they assessed us for or new pay structure. There is a big variation in pay. Some staff have lost money and are apealing their grades but others who have remained the same are now questioning whether they were paid at the correct level in the first place. Is it up to each authority to define a level 2 or 3 and what they do or is there a nationally aproved guide of some sort? I seem to be able to find information from other authorities but not mine!

5. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

In our LEA the majority are L1 & L3 (there are L2 but these jobs are very rare or tend to be TA who have worked for years as a L2).
    Many of the L1 in my school have L2 and/or L3 qualifications- they will become L3 TA's until a L3 vacancy occurs.
    The older L3 TA's don't always have qualifications, but the new ones advertised ask for a minimum of NVQ3 with a preference for level 4.

6. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Thanks. It seems most LA's are very similar but I would like to be able to print a job description for a level 2 and level 3. 1s don't exist since single status and have become 2s but we don't know how our jobs were leveled as no consultation was done with the school so they don't know what we do!

7. Wotton

Wotton Occasional commenter

In our LA jobs are advertised according to pay rate most classroom TAs are at the same rate and 1 to 1 are usually on the next rate up. There is no difference in qualifications although some jobs are advertised with the higher rate if you have a higher qualification but these are very few.

8. Hi
    Are you in a union? Your local union branch should be able to access local job descriptions. Our authority drew up local JDs from Nationally recognised conventions. These were then evaluated to give the pay scales for level 1 2 3 and 4 TAs.

Regards

9. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Been to HR today. Got a 217 page document explaining all about how they worked out new levels. Keep me occupied for the rest of the holidays!!!