1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA level 3 job - what pay grade?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by rebeccacarman, Nov 25, 2011.

1. I have just been offered a temporary part time Level 3 TA job, the advert stated Grade 6, Level 1-4 depending on experience. I am a trained teacher and have been volunteering in the school for over a year. I have not worked as a TA before so am not sure how the levels work and what might be reasonable to expect. Please can someone give me a bit of advise so that when I go in on monday I don't just say yes to whatever they suggest! Also its pro-rota, I will be working 17.5 hours, is 35 a standard week?
    Thank you!

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

According to ATL, there is no statutory pay spine for support staff, but this link may help further:
    http://www.atl.org.uk/pay/pay-scales/payscales-support-staff.asp

3. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Unfortunately the new body which was formed to create a national agreement for terms and conditions for school support staff was abolished when the current government came into power and so we are still in a situation where pay is extremely varied across local authorities! In my own the nearest I can find to your hours is a Level 3 TA on 18.75 hours quoting an actual salary in the range £8287 - £10647. (This is an authority paying well - others will be less.) I don't know whether your teaching experience will place you higher up the scale or not.
    A standard week is now 36.5 hours (although it would be rare to find a Level 3 TA working those hours salaries are usually quoted for full-time, particularly where Single Status has been implemented.) Not only will you only get paid pro-rata to full time hours it will also be term-time only which usually works out at around 45 - 46 weeks pay per year but divided equally across each month - this is normally done by paying you for fewer hours each month than you actually work to cover the weeks in which you don't actually earn any money.