1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA Level 2 course

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Gmburt, Jan 16, 2015.

1. samcatlover

samcatlover New commenter

Hello again yes it's half term but it's nearly over : ( My assignment was called Support learning activities but I'm sure it covers the same thing. I've copied & pasted this assignment to save me waffling on, help yourself, hope it helps.

T D A 2.10 Support learning activities

L O 1 1.1Describe how a learning support practitioner may contribute to the planning delivery and review of learning activities

This unit has been assessed and identified in my setting.

1.2 Identify own strengths and weakness in relation to supporting learning activities and how these may impact on the support that can be provided

To support learning activities I need to identify my own personal strengths and weakness?. I feel my strengths are:

Being positive, enthusiastic ,willing to learn new skills, approachable, contribute, having good people skills, punctuality, listening, using common sense and discipline where needed, using my initiative to provide help and support where needed.

I feel that my strengths impact on the support that I can provide in a positive way, this usually encourages children to approach their work and be this way themselves. They can and want to learn more in a happy positive environment. Through developing a close professional working relationship with my class teacher we have good communication skills that enables us to work together to deliver a lesson successfully. Once I have read the planning activities for the day or if I am asked to support a learning activity, I always ask my teacher before class commences if I am unsure of anything to rectify any issues so I can deliver my activity to the best of my knowledge. If I had a weakness in the activity and did not inform in my teacher that I didn?t understand it would result in children not completing their work in the time given, their lack of understanding on the learning activity, confusion, resulting in an unsatisfactory outcome and falling behind.

Although I do move around the classroom to assist, I tend to sit on the support table in my year 1 class I sit next to pupils who I have recognised need further encouragement, I have given feedback on a pupil where she gets her b?s and d?s mixed up on her literacy therefore making the teacher aware of her ability and giving her extra homework on letter practise, also an example of a boy who tends to rush his writing resulting in his letter formation incorrect especially his r?s I tell him to slow down also showing him how to write his letters correctly, the teacher agreed that his writing does improve when he is supported.

Having the desire to improve on my weakness is the first step to my development. My personal weakness is I currently attend 2 full days at Woodslee as I have work commitments. School are aware of this and have been very supportive. I miss out on the start of the week of the curriculum but when I am in not only do I look at the planning sheet I also ask the class teacher what the children have been up to in the days I have missed as I am genuinely interested, but also gives me a better understanding if they are to do any unfinished work to complete. I tend to miss opportunities on interventions, guided reading, display work, but on the positive side Miss Bailey is aware of this as well as the TA and have postponed the usual day on reading/intervention as to give me the opportunity to show me and become involved when I?m in on the relevant days. Another weakness I may have is giving out green W?s or red spots for discipline, I feel I am not fully confident in this yet, although I do warn the pupils of their behaviour I tend to tell class teacher or another TA if I feel their behaviour needs a step further, I understand I will have to develop this further to increase my confidence, as the children will feel they can get away with bad behaviour in my presence.

1.3, 1.4, 1.5

L O 2 2.1

These units have been assessed in my setting.

2.2 Adapt resources as directed by the teacher to meet the needs of learners

To ensure I am able to support in an effective way I make sure I have read the learning plan and briefed by the class teacher on the particular activity. I need to ensure I am clear of the objectives of the lesson, the groups that I will be supporting. Having discussed what activities we would be doing in the class room it is my responsibility and my role to prepare the class room with the relevant equipment.

In my year 1 class the class teacher adapts the learning to meet the individual needs of groups of children. We have 3 groups? sets in the class all sit on appropriate tables these are; Extension- children can usually understand the learning activity with very little support, Core-able to understand but need a little help, support, Support- children need your full attention and support and to make sure they fully understand the activity without sounding patronising. Examples of adapting to meet the different needs was numeracy, children had to think of 10 different sums adding up to 20 for the extension for the core group adding up to 15 support adding up to 10. Example of literacy was recognising rhyming words in a poem; this was adapted to meet the individual needs of the children, Extension were able to write sentences from a list of words and thinking of rhyming words independently, Core needed to do the same but with support in choosing and thinking of rhyming words, Support needed to choose rhyming words to complete the sentences with the help of adults and if able to do so write them down.

L O 3 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4

L O 4 4.1, 4.2, 4.3

These units have been assessed and witnessed in my setting.

L O 5 5.1 Describe the importance of evaluating learning activities

It is important to evaluate learning activities to see what is working and what needs removing or changing.

To access how the activities are being delivered and how they could be improved, evaluation is important as it helps out when planning and helps you to think about the learning that has taken place. Spending time going through the learning activities and seeing how pupils have responded to a certain task or question can help re shape for future classes.

It is also important to look back at the learning objects so you can measure what the children have learned. If it is not thought over carefully about learning objectives at the planning stage, it will not always be possible to evaluate whether the pupils have achieved them. Learning objectives need to be clear for learners to understand what the outcome is; they must be achievable with the age range of the children.

We need to access pupils against them. Evaluating helps you see something is succeeding or may need changing. If pupils completed the activity then were bored then it would be obvious the task was too easy for their stage, it would then have to be amended.

If the activity took longer than expected and you could see the children really struggled it would have to be addressed. Pupils may not meet the learning objective but they may have enjoyed the subject and participated fully in the lesson, this would be recorded, and communicated back to the teachers who are involved in the planning.

Resources are important in learning activities you have to prepare relevant equipment, be it books, paper, stationary, photo-copied activities, ICT equipment in advance; these plays an important part to monitor the learners progress, individual pupils may need intervention to keep on track. Evaluating learning helps the teachers put the pupils in relevant performance stages and to give them end of year targets.

5.2 Provide constructive feedback on learning activities in discussion with the teacher

5.3 Identify any difficulties encountered in supporting the learning activity

5.4 Provide the teacher with feedback on learner?s participation and progress

These three units were assessed in my setting but unfortunately were not witnessed at the end of the activity as my teacher had to leave to do her weekly PPA the teacher who took over had to leave at the end as she was duty first aider. I informed my assessor I always keep post it notes when delivering feedback to my teacher on which pupils did well in their activity either completing the task or neat handwriting with finger spaces, capital letters etc. and used their phonic sounds for their spelling and who struggled and needed support. Miss Bailey sometimes uses the positive comments to give stickers or house points out to the pupils. I left my post it comments on the desk of the teacher for her to read but also relayed back to her when she returned at a convenient time as I think it is better form of communication.

I feel I give constructive feedback at all times whether it is with their progress or behaviour, I suggested one time to move three boys who sat next to each other on the same table who were distracting each other, I moved them on the next activity, with myself and the teacher keeping an eye on them. Also as mentioned in 1.2 in this unit of giving constructive feedback on pupils as this helps the teacher access with their learning and writing skills.

L O 6 6.1 Identify ways in which own knowledge, understanding and skills in literacy, numeracy and ICT impact on practise

To support literacy, numeracy and ICT, we must have some sort of knowledge to ensure pupils have the best possible support in their learning, if you have confidence in teaching the subject it will give the pupils confidence and improve their skills. When I look at planning for the day I can prepare myself on the relevant activity by reading up, looking at the pupils work books so I understand the level they are at and how it is demonstrated, so I have a better understanding of supporting them and not teaching them incorrectly. Along with the teacher and TA I play a role in supporting the children with their activities I have just started to learn intervention and guided reading, even though this is year 1 work I still ask the correct way of supporting it as I am interested to teach the correct way and not assume because it is a young year it doesn?t matter. Supporting year 1?s is just as important as supporting year 6. On maths intervention I asked the TA how she went about teaching the number lines, I found the information useful and gave me confidence and gave feedback to the teacher on who understood it and who needed extra support, also with guided reading Miss Bailey knows now to give me notice so I can read the book ahead of the activity and the relevant questions to ask in advance as I am still learning. I am slowly building my confidence the more I do it and love being involved. With ICT we took the children the ICT suite so they could learn choosing animals, using mouse skills by dragging words and writing titles I was confident in supervising them any queries I dealt with professionally.

6.2 Identify opportunities to improve own knowledge, understanding and skills in literacy, numeracy and ICT

The biggest opportunity to improve my skills is to shadow my class teacher and TA, on several occasions when Miss Bailey is inputting the children on the carpet area on the activity whilst I am observing the children or preparing the classroom I take in how she is teaching, describing and using the correct vocabulary and the use of the white board, as it is a learning kerb for myself when I support my group to follow what Miss Bailey has said so that the pupils fully understand. I observe all the time on how the TA supports and performs her interventions. Apart from shadowing the best opportunity is to always ask if in doubt. I am willing to develop and give myself opportunities to go on any courses that may be available to enhance my qualification; I have completed a course and received a certificate in literacy at my local library and within time will further my knowledge to keep myself updated in numeracy, ICT and hoping to complete STL 3 in the near future.

: )))) xxx

2. samcatlover

It looks as if I haven't replied on this page, I have, it's that long it's on page 2!!!!! Good luck hope it helps xx

3. Thank you so much for your help, it is difficult to get the teachers time with help with any tasks, or WPE's. I hope you have had a good half term!!! I have nearly finished just got another dozen tasks /WPE 's to go. thank you again for all your help.:) xx

4. samcatlover

Yeah, I found that as well, I found it awkward to ask as there was never a 'good' time to ask, their always busy I felt I was being a pain asking!!

Yes it was lovely being off, needed the rest. My school have asked me whether I'm interested doing L3??? I said yes at first but looked into it and now I'm not keen don't think I'm 'ready' because I work full time don't think I would have the time to fit in course work!!!

Out of interested what does WPE mean??? Different to my course mine was called TDA!

XXX

5. Hi at least that is comforting to know, you had the same problem, I have just got half Assesment to go which is prepare and maintain learning environments, which is for example

prepare learning materials of the quality and quantity required.

WPE means work place evidence. So I need to find evidence in classroom, and show sometimes proof of things.

I don't have anyone assessing me in the classroom I send all my assessments to my tutor who looks at it and marks it.

Would you do the distance learning level 3 or attend college once a week.

Thank you again, for all your help

:) xxxx

6. samcatlover

I would have to attend evening college on top of all the assessments and that worries me as I've heard L3 is quite intense, I've already replied to management saying thanks but no thanks they're quite shocked but I don't want to be pressured still unsure whether I want to stay for Sept... I'll let you know as you will let me know when you finish your work and pass!!!!! : ) xx

7. Of course I will !!!!!xx

8. I am stuck on this last task for my TAlevel 2

Organise learning environments to meet:

a) the requirements of the planned learning activities

b) the age range of learners involved

c) any particular needs of the learners

I am not shore how to lay it out or what exactly I need to write etc!!!!!!!L!

Many thanks

Gill

9. samcatlover

Hi Gill......Wow, I know your first name now! haha

I've copied/pasted my learning assessment, have a look through hope some of it helps.T D A 2.10 Support learning activities

L O 1 1.1Describe how a learning support practitioner may contribute to the planning delivery and review of learning activities

This unit has been assessed and identified in my setting.

1.2 Identify own strengths and weakness in relation to supporting learning activities and how these may impact on the support that can be provided

To support learning activities I need to identify my own personal strengths and weakness?. I feel my strengths are:

Being positive, enthusiastic ,willing to learn new skills, approachable, contribute, having good people skills, punctuality, listening, using common sense and discipline where needed, using my initiative to provide help and support where needed.

I feel that my strengths impact on the support that I can provide in a positive way, this usually encourages children to approach their work and be this way themselves. They can and want to learn more in a happy positive environment. Through developing a close professional working relationship with my class teacher we have good communication skills that enables us to work together to deliver a lesson successfully. Once I have read the planning activities for the day or if I am asked to support a learning activity, I always ask my teacher before class commences if I am unsure of anything to rectify any issues so I can deliver my activity to the best of my knowledge. If I had a weakness in the activity and did not inform in my teacher that I didn?t understand it would result in children not completing their work in the time given, their lack of understanding on the learning activity, confusion, resulting in an unsatisfactory outcome and falling behind.

Although I do move around the classroom to assist, I tend to sit on the support table in my year 1 class I sit next to pupils who I have recognised need further encouragement, I have given feedback on a pupil where she gets her b?s and d?s mixed up on her literacy therefore making the teacher aware of her ability and giving her extra homework on letter practise, also an example of a boy who tends to rush his writing resulting in his letter formation incorrect especially his r?s I tell him to slow down also showing him how to write his letters correctly, the teacher agreed that his writing does improve when he is supported.

Having the desire to improve on my weakness is the first step to my development. My personal weakness is I currently attend 2 full days at Woodslee as I have work commitments. School are aware of this and have been very supportive. I miss out on the start of the week of the curriculum but when I am in not only do I look at the planning sheet I also ask the class teacher what the children have been up to in the days I have missed as I am genuinely interested, but also gives me a better understanding if they are to do any unfinished work to complete. I tend to miss opportunities on interventions, guided reading, display work, but on the positive side Miss Bailey is aware of this as well as the TA and have postponed the usual day on reading/intervention as to give me the opportunity to show me and become involved when I?m in on the relevant days. Another weakness I may have is giving out green W?s or red spots for discipline, I feel I am not fully confident in this yet, although I do warn the pupils of their behaviour I tend to tell class teacher or another TA if I feel their behaviour needs a step further, I understand I will have to develop this further to increase my confidence, as the children will feel they can get away with bad behaviour in my presence.

1.3, 1.4, 1.5

L O 2 2.1

These units have been assessed in my setting.

2.2 Adapt resources as directed by the teacher to meet the needs of learners

To ensure I am able to support in an effective way I make sure I have read the learning plan and briefed by the class teacher on the particular activity. I need to ensure I am clear of the objectives of the lesson, the groups that I will be supporting. Having discussed what activities we would be doing in the class room it is my responsibility and my role to prepare the class room with the relevant equipment.

In my year 1 class the class teacher adapts the learning to meet the individual needs of groups of children. We have 3 groups? sets in the class all sit on appropriate tables these are; Extension- children can usually understand the learning activity with very little support, Core-able to understand but need a little help, support, Support- children need your full attention and support and to make sure they fully understand the activity without sounding patronising. Examples of adapting to meet the different needs was numeracy, children had to think of 10 different sums adding up to 20 for the extension for the core group adding up to 15 support adding up to 10. Example of literacy was recognising rhyming words in a poem; this was adapted to meet the individual needs of the children, Extension were able to write sentences from a list of words and thinking of rhyming words independently, Core needed to do the same but with support in choosing and thinking of rhyming words, Support needed to choose rhyming words to complete the sentences with the help of adults and if able to do so write them down.

L O 3 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4

L O 4 4.1, 4.2, 4.3

These units have been assessed and witnessed in my setting.

L O 5 5.1 Describe the importance of evaluating learning activities

It is important to evaluate learning activities to see what is working and what needs removing or changing.

To access how the activities are being delivered and how they could be improved, evaluation is important as it helps out when planning and helps you to think about the learning that has taken place. Spending time going through the learning activities and seeing how pupils have responded to a certain task or question can help re shape for future classes.

It is also important to look back at the learning objects so you can measure what the children have learned. If it is not thought over carefully about learning objectives at the planning stage, it will not always be possible to evaluate whether the pupils have achieved them. Learning objectives need to be clear for learners to understand what the outcome is; they must be achievable with the age range of the children.

We need to access pupils against them. Evaluating helps you see something is succeeding or may need changing. If pupils completed the activity then were bored then it would be obvious the task was too easy for their stage, it would then have to be amended.

If the activity took longer than expected and you could see the children really struggled it would have to be addressed. Pupils may not meet the learning objective but they may have enjoyed the subject and participated fully in the lesson, this would be recorded, and communicated back to the teachers who are involved in the planning.

Resources are important in learning activities you have to prepare relevant equipment, be it books, paper, stationary, photo-copied activities, ICT equipment in advance; these plays an important part to monitor the learners progress, individual pupils may need intervention to keep on track. Evaluating learning helps the teachers put the pupils in relevant performance stages and to give them end of year targets.

5.2 Provide constructive feedback on learning activities in discussion with the teacher

5.3 Identify any difficulties encountered in supporting the learning activity

5.4 Provide the teacher with feedback on learner?s participation and progress

These three units were assessed in my setting but unfortunately were not witnessed at the end of the activity as my teacher had to leave to do her weekly PPA the teacher who took over had to leave at the end as she was duty first aider. I informed my assessor I always keep post it notes when delivering feedback to my teacher on which pupils did well in their activity either completing the task or neat handwriting with finger spaces, capital letters etc. and used their phonic sounds for their spelling and who struggled and needed support. Miss Bailey sometimes uses the positive comments to give stickers or house points out to the pupils. I left my post it comments on the desk of the teacher for her to read but also relayed back to her when she returned at a convenient time as I think it is better form of communication.

I feel I give constructive feedback at all times whether it is with their progress or behaviour, I suggested one time to move three boys who sat next to each other on the same table who were distracting each other, I moved them on the next activity, with myself and the teacher keeping an eye on them. Also as mentioned in 1.2 in this unit of giving constructive feedback on pupils as this helps the teacher access with their learning and writing skills.

L O 6 6.1 Identify ways in which own knowledge, understanding and skills in literacy, numeracy and ICT impact on practise

To support literacy, numeracy and ICT, we must have some sort of knowledge to ensure pupils have the best possible support in their learning, if you have confidence in teaching the subject it will give the pupils confidence and improve their skills. When I look at planning for the day I can prepare myself on the relevant activity by reading up, looking at the pupils work books so I understand the level they are at and how it is demonstrated, so I have a better understanding of supporting them and not teaching them incorrectly. Along with the teacher and TA I play a role in supporting the children with their activities I have just started to learn intervention and guided reading, even though this is year 1 work I still ask the correct way of supporting it as I am interested to teach the correct way and not assume because it is a young year it doesn?t matter. Supporting year 1?s is just as important as supporting year 6. On maths intervention I asked the TA how she went about teaching the number lines, I found the information useful and gave me confidence and gave feedback to the teacher on who understood it and who needed extra support, also with guided reading Miss Bailey knows now to give me notice so I can read the book ahead of the activity and the relevant questions to ask in advance as I am still learning. I am slowly building my confidence the more I do it and love being involved. With ICT we took the children the ICT suite so they could learn choosing animals, using mouse skills by dragging words and writing titles I was confident in supervising them any queries I dealt with professionally.

6.2 Identify opportunities to improve own knowledge, understanding and skills in literacy, numeracy and ICT

The biggest opportunity to improve my skills is to shadow my class teacher and TA, on several occasions when Miss Bailey is inputting the children on the carpet area on the activity whilst I am observing the children or preparing the classroom I take in how she is teaching, describing and using the correct vocabulary and the use of the white board, as it is a learning kerb for myself when I support my group to follow what Miss Bailey has said so that the pupils fully understand. I observe all the time on how the TA supports and performs her interventions. Apart from shadowing the best opportunity is to always ask if in doubt. I am willing to develop and give myself opportunities to go on any courses that may be available to enhance my qualification; I have completed a course and received a certificate in literacy at my local library and within time will further my knowledge to keep myself updated in numeracy, ICT and hoping to complete STL 3 in the near future.

Take care Sam xx

10. Hi i was wondering if you was still on here and available to help me strggling with my work