1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA job - first job and first week.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by honeyblossom27, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Hi,
    I have just finished my Education Studies degree and have decided to go into a teaching assistant role before undertaking my PGCE. I have been applying to various TA roles around my area (obviously with current circumstances these are few and far between) and hoping to get one soon.

I was just wondering as this will be hopefully my first official TA job, what will my first day and first week be like and is there anything I should take, how to prepare etc.

Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The role of TA is so varied and different from school to school, it would be impossible to guess what anyone's first day / week would be like.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Have a look at the Teaching Assistant forum on here - you should find information to give you a few ideas on there. Best of luck with the job hunt; you should definitely be in with a chance with an Education Studies degree.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

A TA role supporting with maths and English in year 6 will be very different to a TA role supporting learning through play in reception.

Once you get a job, then that school will tell you all you need to know.
    Best of luck.

Lara mfl 05 and sunshineneeded like this.
  5. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Take an open mind; plenty of enthusiasm; a willingness to 'muck in' and help out wherever needed; a sense of humour. At the moment, with covid doing what it's doing, I'd expect a whole load of the unexpected.
    Good luck.