1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA Interview

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by natstaylor82, Feb 29, 2016.

1. natstaylor82

natstaylor82 New commenter

I have my first ever TA interview on Wednesday. I have been told that it consists of an 'in-tray exercise' followed by a Spelling & Grammar Test. I will then have a 30 minute interview.

At this point the 5 candidates will be reduced down to 2 and the final 2 will have a practical session with a group of children.

I've been prepping for the first section using BBC Bitesize KS2 for the tests, and have brushed up on safeguarding for the interview, and looked at potential questions on the thread here on this forum. I also have copies of some KS2 overview textbooks and tests to check my knowledge, so *should* be okay with the test & interview.

But I am struggling to understand what might be expected of me during the 'in-tray exercise' - Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. Any general advice would also be appreciated!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Maybe some scenarios for your in tray exercise. You see / hear this / a child wishes to tell you ......what would you do ? Would you refer / intervene / defer kind of thing.

3. lilycorrigan

lilycorrigan New commenter

natstaylor82 I would use the STAR Technique. Situation, Task, Action, Result
    • Situation: The interviewer wants you to present a recent challenge and situation in which you found yourself in.
    • Task: What did you have to achieve? The interviewer will be looking to see what you were trying to achieve from the situation.
    • Action: What did you do? The interviewer will be looking for information on what you did, why you did it and what the alternatives were.
    • Results: What was the outcome of your actions? What did you achieve through your actions and did you meet your objectives? What did you learn from this experience and have you used this learning since?

Hope this helps and Best of Luck with your interviews. :)