1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA interview... what to wear?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by innamoraTA, Jul 8, 2008.

1. I'm female, but I think I've heard before that some people think it's better to wear trousers to a TA interview, because it shows you're aware that the work can be quite physical and practical and that you're not afraid to get your hands dirty! (I got my present job wearing a dress, but then I was convinced I wouldn't get it due to not technically meeting one of the requirements, so I went in with a bit of a "won't get in anyway so what does it matter?" attitude. This time I want to get it right.)

The other factor is that I haven't actually got very smart summer trousers - only wide linen ones. I can definitely look smarter in a skirt but don't want to look overdressed. Any thoughts?

2. I'm female, but I think I've heard before that some people think it's better to wear trousers to a TA interview, because it shows you're aware that the work can be quite physical and practical and that you're not afraid to get your hands dirty! (I got my present job wearing a dress, but then I was convinced I wouldn't get it due to not technically meeting one of the requirements, so I went in with a bit of a "won't get in anyway so what does it matter?" attitude. This time I want to get it right.)

The other factor is that I haven't actually got very smart summer trousers - only wide linen ones. I can definitely look smarter in a skirt but don't want to look overdressed. Any thoughts?

3. Whatever looks reasonably smart and that you feel comfortable wearing!

4. Hi,

I went for an interview this week (and got the job) and wore a skirt with a pretty blouse and sandals.

I think as long as you look smart it doesn't really matter.

Good luck

5. I've got every job I,ve been for wearing a smart trouser suit with a pretty blouse underneath. Looks more professional.

6. I wore a skirt and blouse and leather shoes to my TA interview, don't think i've looked as smart since!

For my teacher training interview I wore a skirt, v neck t-shirt and thin cardigan, and knee high leather boots (with normal heel).