1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA Interview next week but they haven't mentioned a task????

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by StevenTilley, Jun 30, 2016.

1. StevenTilley

StevenTilley New commenter

Hello,

Today I was selected for interview for a Teaching Assistant position at my local primary school... However, they have not asked me to prepare anything??

After reading so many posts on here, it seems that most schools have asked for candidates to prepare an activity or do something for a task? But all my school said was that I got the interview and when to attend.

I am really worried that I will be under prepared... Do you think that they will surprise me with a task when I get there????

Any advice would be great - Thank you!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

One of the things the school may be looking for is the capacity to think on your feet / show initiative so there may be a task on the day ( or there may not ). Investing in these forums will give you a good idea of what you may be required to do on the day - this will help you in your preparation.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I suppose they might do, but if so, they will be (partly) looking at how you handle the element of surprise. If they haven't told you to prepare a task then they won't be expecting you to turn up with something!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. bertie5641

bertie5641 New commenter

What you may be asked to do depends on the level of the role/job description. Usually you are told beforehand if you need to prepare anything. It's always a good idea to take along a couple of examples of things you have done that relate to the role you are applying for and be prepared to talk about them. It's likely they will give you a few scenarios and ask you how you would deal with them. Study the job description carefully and you should be fine. Also they wouldn't think any the less if you if you asked if you need to prepare anything. It would just demonstrate initiative on your part. Good luck!

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

If they haven't asked you to prepare a task, they won't be expecting you to arrive with one at the ready! However, a friend of mine went for an interview last week and also wasn't asked to prepare anything. After meeting the Head, she was taken to a classroom to spend half an hour in there. The children were on the carpet, so she sat nearby and observed the whole class teaching. The independent task was introduced and the teacher asked her to join a group at a table. She is very experienced and was well able to support them. After half an hour, she was collected from the class by two Year 6 children and shown around the school. During that time (before the actual interview) the Head spoke to the class teacher who had been observing my friend's interaction with the children very closely. Various points were brought up during the interview (which went very well).
    So - if you are asked to spend time in a classroom, even if it seems very 'informal', it's certain that the staff will be noticing the way you interact with the children!
    Best of luck and let us know how you get on.