1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA Interview- Discussion with Year5 group

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by galizia1985, Oct 12, 2015.

1. galizia1985

galizia1985 New commenter

Hi everyone!

I have my first interview as a TA. I've been doing supply roles through an agency for a while, but I don't know what involves a TA interview for a Primary School. They ask me to conduct a "5 minute discussion with a group of Year 5 children and I will need to bring an object to stimulate discussion".
    - What kind of object should I choose?
    - How can ensure that all children are involved in the discussion?

Please, I would really appreciate any ideas or similar experience you have had in your TA interviews.

Thanks,
    Laura

2. galizia1985

galizia1985 New commenter

Please, does anyone have any idea? Which object should I bring? How do I arise the conversation/discussion between the children?

3. OBakaSama

OBakaSama Occasional commenter

I would very much think it depends on what the object you have is.

Let me put these questions to you for you to consider and see if it helps.

(1) Is it easier for you to think of a topic of discussion, and find an object which fits that narrative? Or is it easier for you to talk about and discuss an object?

(2) What area of the curriculum is the discussion going to be covering?

(3) How are you going to involve the children? Partner discussion and then feedback to the group? Go around the group one by one? Hands up?

(4) What objects do you have access to? (No point in taking something which is breakable or expensive.)

(5) What are your strengths? (You may need to facilitate the discussion, or offer some input.)

As a generic response I suggest you choose something you are familiar and confident with. As such, there's little point in me telling you to take X along as you may not have X, or be confident in the subject concerning X.

There is that "unnamed thread" which has a collection of interview questions which can be useful; I would suggest you check that out too. An interview at school is fairly generic and standard affair: you go in, a senior member or members of staff will ask you questions (increasingly a three person panel in my experience), you answer them, you get to ask questions at the end. But different schools may have different ways in which to do these things. Some have you take a session for a particular part of the curriculum, but that really depends on the role and the school.

Given you have an activity I would certainly expect the interview panel to ask you to reflect upon the session. What could you improve? What did the children learn? What could have been better? Those sort of questions.