1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA INFORMATION

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by dermet12, Jan 16, 2012.

1. I have been a voluntary youth worker for the past 4 years and i am looking at going into teaching.I want to start by hopefully getting a TA post at a local primary school and would like some advice.I havnt got any TA qualifications but thought the 4 years experience I have with children may help?

2. I have been a voluntary youth worker for the past 4 years and i am looking at going into teaching.I want to start by hopefully getting a TA post at a local primary school and would like some advice.I havnt got any TA qualifications but thought the 4 years experience I have with children may help?

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

There are some schools that DO insist on a TA qualification, but there are definitely some that DON'T. I don't have a TA qualification, but managed to get a TA role about 18 months ago after many years in the IT industry (and experience of listening to children read in school on a voluntary basis). Your youth worker experience will definitely work in your favour. You will need GCSE or equivalent in Maths and English, and probably a reasonable level of IT knowledge. I would also mention that you are thinking about going into teaching at a later date, as some heads are certainly keen to help out future teachers.

Good luck!

4. ld7675

ld7675 New commenter

Your experience with children will definitely help - although it might help to get some voluntary experience with younger children as well. It seems to be common practice to get you to do an activity with the children as part of the interview process, at mine I played a game with a small group of children and they were looking for interaction and for me to get some learning intentions from it.
    I've just got a TA job, I have worked in early years for the last 3 years, have NVQ3 and EYPS. The job required maths and english GCSE and some experience. with children. I put down on my application that I would like to get QTS in the future and a lot was made of it at interview, hopefully the head will be supportive when I am ready to move into it. I was asked lots about behaviour management and safeguarding, when i said I was used to working with younger children and said I was less confident at behaviour management in older children at interview, I was told that the techniques would be the same. Hope this helps and good luck.