1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA hours

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by talisman, Jul 20, 2011.

1. talisman

talisman New commenter

Just hoping for a nudge in the right direction - out TAs our adamant they work from 9am, and therefore come in through the school front door at 9, then wander to the classroom, go to the loo, etc until finally ready for work - surely they should be ready to start work at 9, and so have done all these things before hand - including getting ready if working with a group of children?

We are having a bit of a change with what TAs do - so could do with being really clear. I know that in office work, you start work at 9 so should be at your desk and ready - but is it the same for TAs?

Thanks in advance

2. talisman

talisman New commenter

Just hoping for a nudge in the right direction - out TAs our adamant they work from 9am, and therefore come in through the school front door at 9, then wander to the classroom, go to the loo, etc until finally ready for work - surely they should be ready to start work at 9, and so have done all these things before hand - including getting ready if working with a group of children?

We are having a bit of a change with what TAs do - so could do with being really clear. I know that in office work, you start work at 9 so should be at your desk and ready - but is it the same for TAs?

Thanks in advance

3. R13

R13 New commenter

They should be working at 9.00 - not preparing at 8.59, or walking down the corridor at 9.00 . . . . .that said if you are having to worry too much about this for all of them you will alsl need to look at give and take and commitment

4. What does their contract say? I agree that they should be ready to start work at 9.00 if that is their start time. However, they can't be expected to do preparation of resources in their own time - it's not like teaching where you work whatever hours are necessary to complete the job - if they have to do preparation then that has to come out of their timetabled hours.

5. I am a TA and I am contracted to start at 9am. I get into work at 8.30 and do my own prep and anything my teacher needs for the morning, so at 9am sharp I'm ready to work with the children. Not sure why my work ethic should be different to that of a teachers. I don't think I'm unique in this aspect either, all of the TAs in my school get in early and just get on with it. But we do have a happy, lovely working environment, so maybe.... who knows. Maybe the original poster's TAs feel like they are taken for granted?

6. R13

R13 New commenter

Most of the many assistants at my (Special School) get in early to help and some very early with excellent professional attitudes. I think the key is that we shouldn't assume that - but instead try and create an atmosphere where give and take exists and everyone wants to do their best for the school.
    we do have a few (10%) of assistants who only work exactly the hours they are contracted for and then we have to chase to ensure they do - this is an annpyance to me BUT a greater source of annoyance to the much larger group who see their role as a professional one like the teachers do
    Our school is a great place for kids to be and for them to learn in - the assistants play a really big part in making that true

7. Sorry, Kugalis, was not suggesting your work ethic should be different but the terms of your employment will be different. Your employer cannot expect you to do extra hours on top of your contracted ones whereas they can with a teacher. A teacher has to work whatever hours are necessary to get the job done - that is in our terms and conditions. A TA is entitled to do their set hours and no more.
    You're definitely not unique but there are TAs who do as the OP describes. In my experience it's getting less common and I'm meeting more and more TAs who do extra hours like you. I would never want to take that for granted though - it's important to appreciate TAs.

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

They should be ready for work at 9:00 AM. This means they should be ready to take direction immediately at 9:00 AM. If they are walking through the door at 9:00 AM then this is not the case.

9. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I agree with Crowbob, althouhg some TAs choose to go the extra mile and do stuff before school unless they are paid for they don't have to. However I would expect them to be in their assigned place at 9am ready to start, just like if you worked in a shop and your shift started at 9am you would get there 5-10min early and put away your coat, go to the loo, before starting to 'work' at 9am.

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Just an aside - I recall one group of TAs who wanted extra hours and so requested a meeting with me to discuss the possibility. At the meeting, they asked if I was paying them for attending it and were not best pleased when I pointed out that as it was at their request and not mine, the answer was no.