1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA course

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Daniiiii, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Daniiiii

Daniiiii New commenter

Hi! I'm looking into TA courses and so far I have come across good options at:

Open Study College
    DeMontfort Home Study
    UK Open College
    Stonebridge

Have any of you studied through these providers, or have any other recommendations? Are there tips for what to look for when choosing a course?

Also, have any of you progressed as a TA without taking a course at all?

Thanks! :)

2. Daniiiii

Daniiiii New commenter

Have to add, would you recommend the certificate or taking the full diploma course?

3. eromdap

eromdap New commenter

I don't know about your course providers, I did my level 3 certificate at a local college.

As for certificate or diploma it would depend on what you are currently involved in within your role. At level 3 the diploma goes into more depth and is more suited to those working within an SEN environment. As I wasn't working with any SEN individuals I would have found it incredibly difficult gathering any evidence to show that I was competent in this area.

4. Daniiiii

Daniiiii New commenter

Thanks so much, that's a great help.

Following on, is it worth doing the Level 2 Cert - at least starting out?

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Experience is as important as qualifications. We only employ level 3 trained TAs, and only those who either already work for us ( as lunchtime supervisors) or volunteer with us in both cases whilst undertaking their qualifications with the local training provider. Most reputable training courses will have ( or should have) a large element of practical experience, any course which is "just" a home study course would not meet school needs.

helen16newin likes this.