1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA colleague rude and starting to act like my boss

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by suertesamp, May 7, 2019.

1. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Those are not the same thing. The OP was not told they should have done something differently. A friendly warning that somebody had been know to tell lies, or a reminder that somebody might make a fuss if the OP is late for the next lesson could both be construed as helpful. Indeed, more than once,I had somebody make a comment to me when I hadn't noticed the bell go for the next lesson; I took it as them being helpful. It may well be appropriate for the OP to have a quiet word with this TA, but not in such a confrontational way. And I certainly stand by my view that neither is sufficient to warrant an official complaint.

Perhaps this person is trying to assert themselves in some way, or perhaps they are just over-inclined to offer unsolicited advice. I don't think we can tell from this. If the OP speaks to the person concerned and incidents continue, then it does start to look like bullying.

purplecarrot and Flanks like this.
  2. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

None of those are the same.

More similar situations:
    A colleague sees me dealing with a student and says 'Purple, Sammy has form and you might want to catch their head of year'.

A colleague knows SLT are making sure people are on duty promptly so makes a passing comment to someone in the staff room to the effect of 'watch out, Deputy Head is on the wander and you might want to get out quick'.

A colleague overhears a conversation about a behaviour incident and says 'I had them last year, one thing that seemed to work was...'

It could be unsolicited advice that's a bit annoying. It could be very useful advice that an uppity person takes afront to.
    None are bullying or require silly covert recordings.

Piranha, grumpydogwoman and Pomza like this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

:rolleyes:

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

What bonkers planet are some people living on?

Also, if the OP must never ‘reveal’ the recording, what is the point of making it in the first place? o_O

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Goodness...
    So, when I next look at my headteacher with a slight smile and answer "That's the kind of question that when a Headteachers asks it, the only possible answer is 'Yes, of course' isn't it?" And with a similar smile he answers "Yes. And I am your headteacher, so I'll take that as a 'Yes'."
    I need to think of him as a bully?
    Seriously?

Pomza and Piranha like this.
  6. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

If you must know, the first computer I tried was faulty.

Piranha likes this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I just wondered. Not knowing anything about the system, it sounded as if it is a very poor one if it takes that long to log an incident. Perhaps I should have guessed that a poor school computer was to blame.

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Remind me who are the adults here ?

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

... not do I think on the grand scale of things it is a ‘ dilemma ‘