1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA better than teacher in the nursery-what do you think of this

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by BrainJim, Mar 5, 2011.

1. We have a 0.5 teacher in the nursery who job shares with a TA Level 4. For next September I would like the TA to be the full-time 'teacher' and remove the teacher. The TA is actually more competent. As some would say 'there has to be a teacher' the school would pay for a part-time teacher training course whilst she is the nursery 'teacher'. As TA would you accept this deal?

2. We have a 0.5 teacher in the nursery who job shares with a TA Level 4. For next September I would like the TA to be the full-time 'teacher' and remove the teacher. The TA is actually more competent. As some would say 'there has to be a teacher' the school would pay for a part-time teacher training course whilst she is the nursery 'teacher'. As TA would you accept this deal?

3. My first reaction was that the old Nursery Nurse role allowed for a non-teacher to be in charge of a class - but only with a maximum number of pupils (15 in my LA, don't know about elsewhere) and when I trained I well remember a headteacher asking why we didn't all do teacher training in the first place as we would be doing exactly the same job in a nursery - this was in a completely separate L.A. Nursery school, not one which was part of a primary and things may well have been different in those.
    My second thought is what do you mean by a 'part-time teacher training course' - if you are talking about going through all the years starting with a foundation degree then I personally wouldn't consider it for a moment - far too long before I would get any meaningful qualification on this route. On the other hand, if you are talking about a GTP the issue would be money: a student on this course gets paid just over £15000, which I assume is an unqualified teacher scale - for me as an HLTA that would represent a cut in wages of of over £9000 for the year. I be somewhat unenamoured of that idea!
    My other concern arising from the last one is - what wage are you currently paying this TA? If it is so low that she/he would accept the GTP rate then presumably after qualifiying the cost of this member of staff would rocket - have you taken this into account?
    I wouldn't reject this straight out but I would need to have a great deal of discussion with head, governors and my union!

4. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Why not post this on one of the teacher forums and see what answer you get? NQTs and experienced teachers can't find jobs and you are suggesting getting rid of one. I suggest you develop your existing teacher, pay to train your excellent TA as a teacher, then make your decision.
    That way it won't look quite as much like a cost cutting exercise.

5. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I would offer her the GTP route, its quicker and more of a compliment.

6. There is no way that I would have her earning less money. It would be current salary and the necessary course which ever best suited the school's needs