1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA at PRU?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by fundisi, Jan 28, 2012.

1. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Ah yes, you could buy it but could you read it without your lips moving?

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Moderately funny, but such sarcasm will be interpretated as aggression by some. Try that in a PRU and there's a strong chance a kid will "slug you one", followed by trashing the classroom and finally for good measure kicking your car/pushing your bike over.
    Don't know why I am wasting my time telling you this since you clearly know everything so will stop now.
    Please feel free to have the last word with some wisecrack but rest assured I won't be reading it.

3. I find interpersonal relationships very interesting. I have always wondered why I eventually got the hang of difficult groups and had "personality clashes" with various members of staff, usually with them complaining that I was arrogant and flippant and "doesn't appear to be listening".
    I didn't have a problem with difficult classes and got to the point where it was my key skill. Getting people and classes under control. Being able to manipulate them.
    I was mildly concerned by how I managed to really get some (usually middle aged females) people's backs up and when they were in a position to "have my balls in their hand", it was important for me to find out why. I happened across a book on Transactional Analysis called "Egograms" which put forward a model of how people communicate.
    If you are thinking. "What is this tw@ doing commenting on my thread talking such BS?" you are probably in the wrong egostate.
    I'd say that reading TA made me understand where many people are getting it wrong, why some people have "difficult classes" which plague them so much. It's down to not understanding how people communicate and using preferred interactions which result in upset and resent.
    To cut a long story shorter, people have 5 basic egostates:-
    Critical Parent
    Nurturing Parent
    Adult
    Free Child
    Adapted Child (can either be compliant or rebellious.......responds to critical parent)
    I always thought assertive discipline was a load of *** and one of my pet hates was hearing some middle aged flowery woman saying something along the lines of "I am giving you permission to stop kicking me in the face" and it having bu99er all affect.
    The long and short of it is that people who have problems and either get walked over, talked over or hit are doing it wrong.
    To say "I am a 6ft 4 gorilla who is as big as a door and hairy like a caveman and if anyone messes me around, I will roar at them until they wee themselves" is asking to be hit by some Year 11 thug who doesn't give a *&^%. If you do try it in a PRU, you might get whacked and if you get whacked, you probably weren't interacting right.
    There are several modes of interaction and they SHOULD complement each other. For instance, if I point my finger at you and say "WHAT DID YOU SAY BOOOOOYYYYY?" I expect you to say "I'm awfully sorry sir, I won't do it again". That is a critical parent talking to another person's adapted child. If there is any other response, there is likely to be what is called a crossed transaction. (google this, as I can't be ***** to explain it).
    We all have preferred modes of interaction with our egostates and these are often different to how we perceive ourselves. If in doubt, ask someone to sum you up in an "egogram". I am of the opinion that many teachers develop their critical parent at the expense of their adult. This then causes real trouble with difficult students who either want adult-adult interactions or nurturing parent then adult interactions.
    Where one may have problems is where students pull the "naughty on purpose" adapted child which will escalate into a full blown conflict when you give them the "critical parent" you'd think the situation calls for. In many cases, you need to communicate with them on an "adapted child" level in order to steer things back on to an adult-adult level. You have to aim for the adult-adult interaction.
    In "good schools" good children are compliant adapted children. They are expecting the parent to whack them through it....there is no problem, so the adult-adult situation develops.
    I was in free child mode mocking you with the Billy Big Balls as if you seriously use that, you will get thumped and would deserve it for being so interpersonally ignorant.
    Anyway, I'm sure you think I am a right ***. Personally, I don't give a ****, however TA is a very important tool and something that people who have effective interpersonal relationships apply subconciously. They read a situation and adapt to it's requirements quickly. Just having the biggest balls and being the biggest gorilla will get your car scratched and eventually, your **** kicked.
    I half expect you to write this off and think "what a *** with all this self-help ********?" However, it might be something which makes you genuinely successful and actually cut some serious progress with students who others can't.
    Anyway, get back to your ****.

4. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

You were starting to make an interesting point but you lost it with your sign off. If anyone had bothered to read an earlier post of mine they would have seen that I do not appreciate the aggressive label and I was looking for advice on how to approach the PRU job, however if you are really looking for a p!ssing contest...

5. Is that a critical parent reply, or an adapted child reply? Either way, just get in there and do the *** job without any ******** and you'll be fine.

6. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Ah yes Master Po -You are so right...forgive me for doubting you!

Day 1 was a walk in the park - much better than being at a "normal" comp or academy.

Firstly there are at least two of you per class; classes were never bigger than 6 students and as long as you ignore the swearing, the rolling of fags, the use of phones and anything challenging then everything else is fine!

One or two students get your individual attention and those that are disengaged are gently finger-waged or ignored...they don't get their 12 ticks and miss out on their sweeties!

So Grasshoper has learned this lesson: when the wind blows be like the grass!

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I think you should do it, it is a real eye opener and I too enjoyed it more than any of my other supply stints. Although a teacher, I had to do it as a TA as I was (and am) out of supply time. Unfortunately they couldnt even consider me for a post as a teacher as induction was not allowed in the PRU. Not sure if that is official or just their policy. I loved building relationships with the very troubled young people there and trying to show them that they did have worth. Getting them to learn any of the National Curriculum was, admittedly, a bit of a bonus. The main strength of the place was the committed staff although there were times when they felt run into the ground.

8. I work two days a week in a PRU (as a teacher) and really love it. It's interesting and rewarding and the small class sizes mean that you can do a lot more than you can with a class of 32. I suggest you go and see what it is like.
    The only downsides (for me) are that two days a week are not enough, so I have to try to get supply on the other three (not easy to come by) and, I'm a NQT so I'm employed as supply through an agency - this means that it's not inductable and so doesn't really have an immediate future (need to complete induction asap).

9. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Day 2 was also good!

A couple of lessons with 4 students, a couple more with only one. This is really good and I'd like to try and get some more.

Anyway, I'll speak to the HM tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice!