1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA Application - Employment History Help, Please!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by psychgrad, Nov 22, 2018.

1. psychgrad

psychgrad New commenter

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, and I am currently filling in my first application for a TA position in Early Years. When approaching the section regarding employment history/volunteering etc, it asks for the dates, the name and address, job title and reason for leaving. Do I simply fill in those details, and not have to state my responsibilities, etc? Obviously I will talk about some of these within my supporting statement (the skills gained etc), but did not want to give too little or too much detail in this specific section.

Any help would be appreciated, as I would really like this job!

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I think you only need to give the details asked for - dates, names and addresses of workplaces, etc. Give positive reasons for leaving - to broaden your experience, etc. Good luck, hope you get an interview.

3. psychgrad

psychgrad New commenter

Thank you for your reply! It's all mainly volunteer work, so it ended because I finished uni, or the project finished etc. My main problem is giving a reason for wanting to leave my current volunteering position in a school (which i really don't want to do, but need something paid), and my agency work (which is because they barely find me any suitable work) without saying those things! I have an interview on Tuesday for a different job, but I'm not too hopeful about it so I'm giving this one a shot too, because it's probably more suited to me. I'm hoping one of them works out though!

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I think it's a perfectly good reason to say that while you are very happy in your current volunteering role, you need to earn money so it was always only temporary until the right post came up.

psychgrad likes this.
  5. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

The job history is mostly about accounting for time. Gaps in your employment historyhisto need to be explained as part of DBS and safeguarding check, it is an obligation on schools to check it before offering employment.

6. psychgrad

psychgrad New commenter

Yes that's okay, as I have no gaps in employment/education, so that aspect should be fine. I just wasn't sure how much information to give/how much to expand. Thanks for replying!