1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA and Support Staff should have a national framework of pay for all authorities

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by spirites, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I can't believe that TA's have different rates of pay throughout the country Surely we all do the same job and deserve the same standard pay scales. Why should a person get paid more just because the authority they work for is richer? crazy. Temporary hours are just taken away.
    The government needs to recognise what a brilliant job we all do and not stab us in the back by removing our sick pay. Im my authority it is being looked at to not pay us if we are off sick for 3 days or less. We will be refusing to clean up sick, toileting etc for fear of catching germs and therefore risking illness. It is being talked about that this will be the teachers job from now on....
    I love my job but I could get better pay elsewhere for less hastle

2. I can't believe that TA's have different rates of pay throughout the country Surely we all do the same job and deserve the same standard pay scales. Why should a person get paid more just because the authority they work for is richer? crazy. Temporary hours are just taken away.
    The government needs to recognise what a brilliant job we all do and not stab us in the back by removing our sick pay. Im my authority it is being looked at to not pay us if we are off sick for 3 days or less. We will be refusing to clean up sick, toileting etc for fear of catching germs and therefore risking illness. It is being talked about that this will be the teachers job from now on....
    I love my job but I could get better pay elsewhere for less hastle

3. Unfortunately the current government chose to abolish the School Support Staff Negotiating body. This body aimed to introduce a national scheme of pay and conditions for support staff in schools. It apparently didn't fit in with the Tory aims of greater deregulation.
    Is this currently being discussed by your council for all public sector workers in the borough?
    In our school cleaning up after ill children is not the particular job of teachers or TAs. Whoever is closest and available clear up any mess does it.Not sure that refusing to clear up after unwell children would achieve anything and most TAs would be unwilling to leave an ill or distressed child. If this proposal does come to anything hopefully your trade union will be negotiating on your behalf.
    Quite true but employers know that the TA role is sought after because despite the low pay it fits in well with school holidays for those who are parents of young children.
    Keep us posted on what happens in your area.

4. Yes the sick pay options are being discussed now. We wouldnt leave a child in distress no absolutely not but we wouldnt want to put ourselves in a position to be off work for a week or so and loose pay. As it is parents often send ill children to school because they dont want to have time off work themselves( and to loose pay too)