1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA Advice

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by TRobertson5, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I wonder if you could help me once again. I come from a Admin background and decided
    recently to retrain to become a TA. I
    passed my level 3 Diploma in April this year and since March I have been doing
    voluntary work at a local school to gain some experience.

I have been applying for jobs and been offered 3 interviews. I am confident that my application is good or
    I wouldn't be offered interviews. I am
    doing the voluntary work to gain experience and I have been visiting the
    schools before sending in my applications.
    In my eyes I am doing everything I can to get my first TA job.

My question is that I have had 3 interviews with no joy. I have had positive feedback from all and their
    excuse is that the other candidates had more experience than me. I am beginning to think I am wasting my
    time. I am doing everything I can. I have applied for loads of jobs and heard
    nothing. I understand that with the
    funding and the job market at the moment they are probably not willing to take
    a chance on somebody as inexperienced as me.
    They are well aware of my experience from my application form so why
    when they get so many applications bother with mine.

I have decided also to apply for admin jobs within the schools in hope
    that this may help. I am now running out
    of time as the schools go on the summer break at the end of the month.

Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

2. Hi All,

I wonder if you could help me once again. I come from a Admin background and decided
    recently to retrain to become a TA. I
    passed my level 3 Diploma in April this year and since March I have been doing
    voluntary work at a local school to gain some experience.

I have been applying for jobs and been offered 3 interviews. I am confident that my application is good or
    I wouldn't be offered interviews. I am
    doing the voluntary work to gain experience and I have been visiting the
    schools before sending in my applications.
    In my eyes I am doing everything I can to get my first TA job.

My question is that I have had 3 interviews with no joy. I have had positive feedback from all and their
    excuse is that the other candidates had more experience than me. I am beginning to think I am wasting my
    time. I am doing everything I can. I have applied for loads of jobs and heard
    nothing. I understand that with the
    funding and the job market at the moment they are probably not willing to take
    a chance on somebody as inexperienced as me.
    They are well aware of my experience from my application form so why
    when they get so many applications bother with mine.

I have decided also to apply for admin jobs within the schools in hope
    that this may help. I am now running out
    of time as the schools go on the summer break at the end of the month.

Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

3. have u also thought of applying for lunchtime supervisor roles? some schools struggle to get people who are willing to apply for a job which is only about an hour in the middle of the day and pay isnt that good. Its not ideal but that way u get in a school and if a ta job comes up they will already know u. Its hard gettin a paid post I know as there are lots of people wanting them and schools generally have a few parent helpers who might apply for any jobs goin. good luck

4. Hiya, I did something similar to you. I used to be a restaurant manager and decided to become a TA. I volunteered at a local school for about 8 months while I was doing the TA NVQ. I had about 6 interviews before I got the job I'm in now as a TA. My advice is to stick with it and get a little more experience. I was applying for jobs at the end of the last summer term with the same amount of experience as you, and I was told the same as you, I was too inexperienced. I know it can be disheartening but stick with it! I did, and I did get a job in the end at a great school! It is tough at the moment as there are so many applicants, but keep going and get that experience. Hope this helps and good luck!

5. Hi
    Keep with it and you will eventually get lucky. In the meantime keep volunteering in order to get the experience you need. How many hours are you doing and are you managing to get the right experience while you are there. If the school know you are volunteering inorder to gain experience for a job they may be able to stretch you a bit more and offer you opportunities to widen your experience and confidence. I recently became a ta after being a stay at home mother for years. Although I had been volunteering at my childrens school for nearly 8 years I only started focussing on the type of experience I was getting once I started applying for jobs. I could see where there were gaps in my experience and upped the number of hours I was doing in order to get that experience. I was then more confident at interview and was able to get a job on my third interview. The school were really helpful in giving me a wide range of tasks to do, and I also changed year groups so that I could get experience in key stage 2. All these things will help. I also found that there were quite a lot of jobs coming up once the schools go back in September, so keep your eyes open and don't think you have missed the boat. The right job will come along.

6. Hi,
    I would like to thank you all for your help. I did eventually get a job. I was offered it last Monday at a lovely Junior school. The school seems great, it is local and it is part time. I start in September and I am really excited.