1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

T.L.R. on S.M.T.?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by teachermiss, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Hello, have searched for the answer to ths question but responses dffer. If you have a T.L.R. does this mean you are on the Senior Mangement Team, thank you.

2. Hello, have searched for the answer to ths question but responses dffer. If you have a T.L.R. does this mean you are on the Senior Mangement Team, thank you.

3. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

OMG.
    Are you training to be a teacher?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They will differ. In some schools the answer is yes and in some the answer is no. It depends on the school and the set up.

I'm also pretty stunned you need to ask this, and at the use of . between the letters, no-one ever does however correct.

5. fishtail

fishtail New commenter

A TLR is a teaching and learning responsibility so generally means you are not (for instance) a head of department or year leader, but have responsibility beyond that of a classroom teacher.and are paid more accordingly (there are a series of different TLRs--1a,b,c and so on). This payment is added to your main scale salary or your UPS salary if you're post-threshold. Being on SLT is a different pay scale--leadership scale--so you don't have a TLR. Fast imperfect response late at night, but hope this is helpful.

6. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

You can be on a school's SLT without being paid on the leadership scale although I'm sure there are some schools where everyone on SLT is paid on the leadership scale.
    Re the OP: it depends on the school. At all the schools I've worked in (large primaries) there have been some staff with TLRs who were on the SLT and some who weren't.
    The head decides who is on the SLT.

7. I am on the SLT and am still paid on UPS - not leadership scale. I have TLR 2b. This is in an infant school and I co-ordinate foundation stage. We have a teacher at our school who is paid a TLR for SEN responsibilities and is not a member of SLT.
    Your rate of pay and whether you are part of SLT or not are completely dependent on the school and how the headteacher has structured the leadership. There is no right or wrong answer.
    At my previous school, I had a TLR as I was children's centre teacher but wasn't a regular member of SLT. I was invited along when there were agenda items that were relevant to my role. So you see, each school is different.